Basswood quality.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

peteswright

Jun 10, 2017
Sheffield
Anyone know of good quality Basswood suppliers. Tried Hobbycraft Bass but it's inconsistent and tends to break up easily at times. Haven't tried clear pine yet but might be next to try. I live between Sheffield & Worksop if anyone knows of local suppliers, otherwise suppliers who mail. Any other Flat Plane carvers around my area? I'm new to all this and could use some advice & help from time to time. ATB. Pete.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hey Pete!
From where I sit, Heineke is the best basswood supplier for North American carvers. Hands down the best.
Seems there's quite a difference in carving quality between basswood from the southern USA
and that which grows north into Wisconsin/Minnesota and north into Canada.
The north wood being by far the best.

There's also a substantial difference between main stem wood and branch wood,
due to the development of extra cell wall layers in "reaction wood," = tension wood in angiosperms.
You may be sold crap as the best is going off for wood block printing and old-fashioned wood engravings.

I expect that these considerations (north vs south) apply to you as well.
I'm interested in wood anatomy so further responses to your Q will be of interest.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Basswood is Tilia americana and as such doesn't grow in the UK unless as a few specimen trees so it's highly unlikely you'll find a supplier of it over here.

However, Basswood is also the american name for Lime of which you'll find loads of suppliers of if you ask for it by that name :)

peteswright

Jun 10, 2017
Sheffield
The stuff from Hobbycraft that I buy is labeled "When Precision Matters" WWW.midwestproducts.com BASSWOOD 2"x3" & 2"x2" X12" Made in USA. That's as much as I can tell you. I'm aware that North American is best and I know of Heineke because of watching Gene Messer vids but would imagine it to be expensive when including shipping to the UK in the quantities I need. Thanks for the replies so far people. ATB. Pete.

peteswright

Jun 10, 2017
Sheffield
Just looked on their site. This is what it says, so maybe it is N American Basswood. A domestic wood cut in Northern Michigan and Wisconsin, desired because of its economy, work-ability and finishing qualities.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd go with Gailainne's link to begin with. They're cutting all sorts of sizes so that's the economy.

Don't forget that in the old days of printing, many designs and illustrations were wood-cuts, carved in the end grain of lime.

Glue-ups to make a rough shape for a carving are acceptable.
Every once in a while, there's a competition demanding the carvings be done from single pieces of wood. Ignore them.

Google Bill Reid's "Raven and the First Men."
The display piece in the rotunda of the UBC/MOA is big.
140+ pieces of yellow cedar in the glue-up.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well, you get what you pay for and basswood is no different. Lime or whatever species and variety they palm off on you is the same.
Sure you can buy cheap wood, so can I. Carving quality wood is not reaction wood crap from branches, no matter how big they are.
Then you fight with it and wonder why you get discouraged.

Here, Yellow Cedar is premium Pacific Northwest carving wood. Going local price is $96.00/cubic foot. Even so,
I don't buy 1 stick in 50 for the grain and the ring count.

Gailainne

Life Member
No worries I was more showing in the UK, Lime wood is readily available, for training the ebay stuff should be ok, however, you are better off finding a supplier locally, so that you can visit and pick out the pieces you want.

Enjoy

Cheers

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE