Basic kit list awaits approval.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
Hi Gang,

Here's my ideas for my shelter/sleep kit for a 5 day outing in wales could you give me an opinion on the items please?

I know theres a lot of it but i want backup and versatility depending on conditions/location/mood. with good all-round comfort.

Gelert Solo Tent 1.5kg £23
DD Tarp and Travel Hammock. 1500-2000g £85
Snugpak Bivi bag 340g £50 ish
Snugpak Sleeper Zero Camo 1600g £35
Silver coated foam mat cut to solo footprint 400g £5
thermarest type 3/4 mat due to width restriction in foot end of solo.

Anyway let me know what you all think. i'll get ready to dodge the abuse :p

Take Care.

I know its a fair bit of weight to start and a fair bit of expense but its got maximum flexibilty given any situation

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It looks like you've got all the angles covered, personally I'd either go with the tent and ditch the hammock and tarp, or ditch the tent and silver mat and go with the hammock, tarp and bivvy bag. That way if you can't find trees to hang on then you can always go to ground in the bivvy under the tarp.

Have a good trip and take some piccies for us :)

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
It looks like you've got all the angles covered, personally I'd either go with the tent and ditch the hammock and tarp, or ditch the tent and silver mat and go with the hammock, tarp and bivvy bag. That way if you can't find trees to hang on then you can always go to ground in the bivvy under the tarp.

Have a good trip and take some piccies for us :)

Yeah that's what I'd suggest as well! Plus it's summer so shouldn't be cold enough for a tent!

rg598

Native
Well, you certainly have it all covered, but what will you be doing at the outing. If you are going to be doing a lot of traveling by foot, you will be comfortable once you set camp, but miserable the rest of the day. Those pounds really add up.

I carry a tarp, bivi, closed cell foam pad and sleeping bag. The set up has served me well. It is nice to have options, but considering that you will be carrying 5 days worth of food, any weight you can remove will be a big help. If on the other hand you are going to be in just one location, then go ahead and bring it all.

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
Im happy with those replies guys :). the tent is mainly there as it was a £23 option and weighs only 1.5k un-modified i.e. pegs/bags/lines.

It's untested (like me) in the field so if anything goes wrong with it, no loss.

I'm buying stuff now and Ill post a kit list as i work on each section for you guys to peruse and offer me advice.
ive spent a very long time on theory for my outing and have given myself plenty of time to organise for it. after all its my first time out since i was about 15 years old lol . but nothing beats having people to share ideas and experiences with to try and iron out the creases before i reach the "if only i'd" stage.
Ill try to post as much as i can here from my reviews from a newbies eyes to my photos and experiences whilst out in the field ( i can update via my mobile if i have the signal:p).

thanks so far y'all. I'll look forward to more comments/ideas

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Id deffo go with a DD travel hammock serves as a bivi bag and tent ,when on the floor that and a trap covers so many situations imho

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If I were you, Id go with the tent and take the tarp for an admin area too. If your in wales it will most likely rain so you want moewhere dry and comfortable to rest whilst still being in the outdoors.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I think the 'trick' is to understand the terrain, then you can judge if it is better to have a hammock or tent/bivi set up. I prefer to have a tarp, even with a tent, for cooking in bad weather. But the basic list is sound. I'd agree that it is usually better to go light weight if you can.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It seems to offer too many options.

I have a tent, a lilo and a sleeping bag

and a pillow. dont forget your pillow.

None of these are fancy items of kit, but they seem to do well for me.

If I dont take the tent I use a beach shelter with a door

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
tents all you need really (although im not into hammocks) at least with the tent your guaranteed some comfort in all weather protection from bugs and somewhere to get changed in if the areas are busy. with all the weight of tarp bivi and hammock gone you can take a full length mat and have ample room for all your other bits and bobs. My preferred solo kit is as follows i have tried other setups but always return to this:
vango banshee tent
trangia mini
multimat
snugpack merlin softie 3
light my fire mess kit
sigg type bottle
all of which packs into a 45 litre pack that i can carry all day long...

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Id deffo go with a DD travel hammock serves as a bivi bag and tent ,when on the floor that and a trap covers so many situations imho

This is interesting; I didn't know you could do this but it addresses a post I have on here about bivi/tarp/mosi net versus a tent. I liked the benefits of a tarp that people were posting but didn't much like the exposure of the bivi bag to insects. Maybe I will flog my army bag and get a travel hammock for on or off ground use...

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
dozza if you do get the travel hammock keep the bivvi bag cos its better than the hammock as floor covering and then put hammock on top cos the bivi is squad proof and the hammock is brilliant but thorns and sticks on floor i just dont trust it so would put me army bivi bag under nieth

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This is interesting; I didn't know you could do this but it addresses a post I have on here about bivi/tarp/mosi net versus a tent. I liked the benefits of a tarp that people were posting but didn't much like the exposure of the bivi bag to insects. Maybe I will flog my army bag and get a travel hammock for on or off ground use...

It works fine for me, some don't get on with it:

mysetup4.jpg

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Thanks guys. Martin - that set up looks great. Do you have the 3x3 or 3x4.5 tarp? Drew - I think you advised on my thread to go for the larger one. The point would be to ditch the space and weight of the bivi bag though. Presumably with a mat on the ground (and maybe that rubbish Machinemart tarp or a poncho as groundsheet) the hammock would be protected okay?

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
with the machine mart one yes it would be fine mate but why use the machine mart one when the bivi bag can be used for both sleeping in if nessecay and a ground sheet so save room and weight by killing to brids with one stone drew

ps still need a sleeping mat for wrmth in the hammock on the floor or hanging

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE