Basha without trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mauro

Aug 4, 2004
Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi!

in few weeks time, I am off to the Ligurian Apennine (north-west of Italy, not far from the coast).

The route I am taking will cover some area without trees. I was wandering if there is a way to install a basha in places without trees.

I will carry walking sticks, can these be used to fix the basha together with ropes?
As i do not own the walking sticks to test the method, I was wandering if any of you have experience.

Thank you.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Mauro said:
Hi!

in few weeks time, I am off to the Ligurian Apennine (north-west of Italy, not far from the coast).

The route I am taking will cover some area without trees. I was wandering if there is a way to install a basha in places without trees.

I will carry walking sticks, can these be used to fix the basha together with ropes?
As i do not own the walking sticks to test the method, I was wandering if any of you have experience.

Thank you.
I'm doing a similar thing in Norway - I string it between cairns as I don't use poles.

M

magicaltrevor

Hi there,

My friend and I had a similar problem as we wanted to erect our bashas on Dartmoor. Now neither of us wanted to but walking poles as we consider them a bit 'rambler-esque'. So after much searching we found the perfect solution!

2 fishing rod support poles!!

They're telescopic, very light weight and not bulky at all. In fact I carry them even when I know I'll be tieing up to a tree. Also they are considerably cheaper than walking poles. Then we just erected the bashas like an A frame flysheet with either bungees or para-cord as guylines with a guyline on each end supporting the poles. I found that this is very strong and can stand up to some quite strong winds.

Hope this helps

Andy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
magicaltrevor said:
Hi there,

Now neither of us wanted to but walking poles as we consider them a bit 'rambler-esque'.

The bronze age guy who was chiseled out of the Alpine glacier had a pair of walking poles, so maybe not so 'rambler-esque'. That said I don't use them either, just a big wooden staff for rabid farm dogs and vagabonds, which can also support one end of a hootchie for a basic shelter.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I got a set of walking poles at christmas and they are still in the packaging. I regreted this and so did my knees after a recent hike up Carlingford hill.

The tradtional Scout stave would be more bushcrafty but the fishing stands sound like a good and lightweight idea. You can buy Basha poles but they can be a little expensive for what they are.

James

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
As a previous poster suggested - extending bank sticks from your local fishing tackle outlet.

Light, cheap, various sizes.

Jim.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
An excellent technique for this is described in detail in Ray Jardine's book, Beyone Backpacking. As he is hiking, he keeps an eye out for sticks that are long enough for setting up camp. The simple trick is to use sticks with a Y at the top, Your lines sit in the Y but you take one turn around one of the horns of the Y then run your line out to a stake. This will hold your pole and line in place and is surprisingly stable.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.

Hi Mauro,

Just for curiosity, where roughly will you be "bashing out"? I will be living in San Remo from 26th June and would like to know of a few places to go and enjoy the great outdoors.

If I was walking and carrying just the stuff I needed for a couple of days, I would try to find a couple of adjustable aluminum tent poles,say from a four man tent for example. You can buy spares from camping shops. Only the top sections would be needed. There will be a spike on the top for the eyelets. They'd only be roughly half a metre long and wouldn't weigh much at all. Then you could make an A-frame or lean-to basha. They could just slide down the side of your daysack.

Julian.

M

marcja

magicaltrevor said:
Now neither of us wanted to but walking poles as we consider them a bit 'rambler-esque'.

Each to their own opinion I know but I use a walking pole, mainly because it's good for two reasons. One is setting up your basha. Two, as well as my interest in bushcraft I do a lot of walking and on a 30 or 40 mile two or three day (or more) hike over the mountains, not only will it take a hell of a lot of weight of your back but it'll keep you a lot more stable on those narrow windy ridges aswell!

However in saying that I llike the fishing rod idea, I can imaging them working really well.

Have you thought of a pole out of a dome tent, alot of the modern lightweight ones only use one pole nowadays, mind you I've never tried it (only thought about it) be interesting to hear if anyone else has though.

Marc

Mauro

Aug 4, 2004
Cambridgeshire, UK
Jjv110 said:
Just for curiosity, where roughly will you be "bashing out"? I will be living in San Remo from 26th June and would like to know of a few places to go and enjoy the great outdoors.

Hi Julian,

i will be wolking on the "Alta Via dei Monti Liguri" ("High way of Ligurian Mountains".... see the site in English: http://www.altaviadeimontiliguri.it/eng/home.html)

The whole path is 430Km, but I will just do 3 days, from Genoa to Lavagna (east of Genoa). The most interesting part will be going through the Aveto Nature Park.

However, if you are at San Remo I would suggest you to go to the Beigua park (http://www.parks.it/parco.beigua/Eindex.html ... it's in English!). I have never been there, but it looks nice.

If you are _VERY_ lucky you may see the tracks of some wondering Italian Wolf!!! (no chances see it though! they are too clever! :D )

Jjv110 said:
If I was walking and carrying just the stuff I needed for a couple of days, I would try to find a couple of adjustable aluminum tent poles,say from a four man tent for example. You can buy spares from camping shops. Only the top sections would be needed. There will be a spike on the top for the eyelets. They'd only be roughly half a metre long and wouldn't weigh much at all. Then you could make an A-frame or lean-to basha. They could just slide down the side of your daysack.
Julian.

Good idea, thanks. But my father will carry walking poles, so I thought to use those.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE