barn owl in flight photographs one of the reasons i am here...enjoy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
first time i have ever seen any wild owl and what a pleasure to watch him/her hunt.
totally silent in flight and very low of the ground.
they knew i was around but as long as i wasnt to close it was OK.
i wasn't in a hide but out in the open.

equipment used
nikon D3s
nikkor 300mm F4 with nikkor TC 1.4
i also have a Giotto's mono-pod which doubles as a walking stick but binned it as the owl was moving all over the place.

ps photos saved for web so some image degradation

DSC_3103.gif

DSC_3106.gif

DSC_3114.gif

DSC_3143.gif

DSC_3180.gif

DSC_3115.gif

DSC_3144.gif

Last edited:

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
you can see how they flare up and hover then dive down.
the face is like a radar dish and funnels in noise.
i believe they have asymmetric ears to triangulate the noise.
that's why they are so low on the ground.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those are wonderful pics. Well done.

The low to the ground bit is one of the reasons thay are in decline. They come over hedges into roads and get hit by traffic. Tawny owls are not so affected because their hunting technique is more sit in a tree and wait for something to happen by. Barn owls actively search out their prey.

There are some barn owls near me but they are very elusive. Always good to see one.

I want to see a wild long-eared owl to get the complete set of uk owls.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i have been back but not seen him again,i would love to see the tawny owl etc.as well.
what you say makes sense he only just went over the fence at car hight.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
wow these are fantastic! the only time i have seen a barn owl in the wild (well sort of) was when i saw one of my old neighbours walking along with one on her arm with a cat following close by in the wood next to my old flat. i swear on my kids lives it was the weirdest thing i have ever seen and i actually had to rub my eyes to see if i wasnt hallucinating lol

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Amazin photos mate, well done. We used to see a few at the farm we stayed at, unfortunately as many dead as alive for the very reason thats been mentioned, cars. The farm was next to the A75 and they were regularly killed by the traffic :(

Beautiful bird and beautiful pics, thanks for sharing

Dave

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
barn owl tells me

"It's a young female.

I can tell by the spots on the body and underwing,also the the brown marks of the oval face mask."

thanks any info is a help :)

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i had an idea she was there,but it was pure luck it was 2pm and she must have been hungry.
no luck on my return visits i went for 3 hours the other week when it was sunny again.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome pictures. They regularly hunt the fields and dykes here, but I usually see them whilst driving and never when I have my cameras out with me >sigh<

We have put up some owl boxes last year so I'm hoping we might get adopted! I'd be delighted with that set - well done

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE