Bark River

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I just realised what i did!
I am interested in a smaller knife to accompany my Woodlore Micarta. I like the look of some of the bark river knives...what are they like?

I dont want to spend alot. You may have realised that i have little money (being a student)! I have a puukko, but would like something like the Bison bushcraft, but i dont have enough money. The mini candian is about £40, which looks like a bargain

I have been using a H Roselli UHC carpenters knife for a couple of years now and it's been a fantastic tool for me, The quality is fantatsticI and both my carpenters knife and leuku have taken some heavy use extremely well. I bought them at the factory in Finland but I'm sure that they could sort you out mail order. They have a small range of puukot and other scandinavian models including a first rate axe which may be of interest and they make knives in standard good quality high carbon steel or Ultra High Carbon steel which is a great steel for taking and maintaining an edge. Check out the website for prices etc. I can reccommend them

Brynglas

:oops: :oops:

I thought you meant i said that months ago when i first asked a similiar question!! I just read through all the posts now and made myself cringe when i came across that one.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Damn!!

Jake :lol:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Since then both my knives have come through. The highland, what a great knife. Holds an edge, looks simply stunning and i am getting used to the sharpening!

The mini-canadian, also a great knife. For some reason i find it harder to sharpen, but again...getting there!!

Cheers,

Jake

ANDGRIN

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol
Has anyone had any experience of using the Gameskeeper model, I am considering getting one, aswell as a Northstar when they become available.

S

Sharpshooter

The mini-canadian, also a great knife. For some reason i find it harder to sharpen, but again...getting there!!

Jake...

Here's a link on Sharpening Convex Edges that will make the job a snap....

http://home.nycap.rr.com/sosak/convex.htm

The information is right on the money, which should be very useful for those who have North Stars coming.... just a few weeks away now. :super:

Reid

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Reid,

A very detailed tutorial. I read it on Knifeforums (you are over there aren't you?). I bought some wet'n'dry paper but for some reason i only bought grit 600. So when i went to sharpen an almost shaving sharp mini-canadian all i did was damage! Would that happen normally if one went onto 600 on a sharp knife?

Cheers

Jake

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Jake,

Were my convexed knife "almost shaving sharp," I believe I'd strop it on cardboard to bring it to greater sharpness. Thus far, 1200 grit is all I've had to use with any convexed knife, and that was after heavy use over a five-day period.

Tom

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Tom,

I guess that sounds logical. I willl have to get down to a hardware store and get some other grits, 1200. Why i didnt buy it in the first place defeats me. After all the good advice i had received!!

Cheers,

Jake

S

Sharpshooter

Jake,

Most of the time people actually take their convex edges PAST sharp...

I usually strop mine on cardboard or even a sheet of white paper, just a few strokes and that's it. In the field I use my trouser leg and get pretty good results.

Right now I'm working on a "Field Sharpener" for the North Star... a hint;

Doan Firestarter with a bit of innertube glued to one side, on top of the rubber is some Pressure Sensitive Adhesive 15 micron abrasive sheet.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Sarg...i apologise!!! :rolmao:

Tom, could you explain that again? And if you did make that northstar field sharpener, i will definatly buy one.

Cheers,

Jake

I have a few. :)

marblesdrawer.jpg

marblesexpert1.jpg

Hello I've been lurking a while but this is my first post here so go easy on me.

Can anyone help me identify the knife below. I've searched the forums and the ones above are close but not quite.

It was my first knife and was given to me sometime in the early seventies by my father and if I remember correctly we bought it somewhere in the lake district (Ambleside I think). It looks like the Marbles one above but it has no markings on it and it has a lateral indentation on the blade which none of Hoodoo's ones have.

It still takes a good edge and has been used and abused over the years. I would love to find out more about it.

boris-albums-equipment-picture250-my-first-knife.jpg

and

boris-albums-equipment-picture249-my-first-knife.jpg

and

boris-albums-equipment-picture248-my-first-knife.jpg

Many thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE