Barbour Wax Jackets - Breathable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I think there is no waterproof jacket without condensation when there is a lot of activity.

I wear wax coats since I was a boy of 11 years old, so for 25 years now.

The disavntage of waxcoats is the rewaxing from time to time and indeed you best use a hairdryer or a iron ( wife or mother :) ) to produce the best result.
In this way the fibers will absorb the wax.
Never use waxsprays, because this will not stay on as long as the wax you have to melt au bain marie.

Anaother point: they weigh a lot more than a gore-tex jacket.

The great avantage of these coats is there is no problem with sparks, especially in comparrison with gore-tex jackets.

They are also much more thornproof, accept the lightweight types.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Wayland said:
That means air can get in and out of the jacket, it doesn't mean the fabric is breathable.

It's all about venting which is often more important than fabric breathability.

Ah yes, that's a good point.

I suppose the other big question is: is it "breathable" or "breatheable"? ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The cut and fit of a garment are as vital as the fabric from which it is made, to the effectiveness of it's performance.

Too often mass produced garment manufacture means that one size (or a few *standard* sizes) fits no one very well :rolleyes:

Proper fitting and a well designed cut are really vital in a garment that will be worn in extreme conditions, but for general walking and working about in a woodland or on a moor, the wax jacket is hard to beat.

On balance though, I reckon Ventile is better, but the price difference makes me reluctant to get my ventile covered in mud and soot and general grubbinesses when the wax jacket cleans with a damp cloth.
However, if I'm being really *active* the ventile wins hands down.

HWMBLT refuses to wear a wax jacket, he'll wear ventile, goretex and the triple ceramic stuff.
He rarely has a real fire when he's out though :rolleyes: :confused: :D

cheers,
Toddy

G

gwing

penvisser said:
I think there is no waterproof jacket without condensation when there is a lot of activity.

There are - the paramo jackets are truly excellent and remain dry even when highly active. In fact you can soak one in a river, wring out the worst of the water and then, provided you are active and generating heat, it will dry completey and regain fullt warmth. If you are stupid and wear far too much insulation for the temperature and activity level you will get too hot and sweaty, but you won't get condensation and you will get comfortable and dry again as soon as you adjust activity level or insulation to suit.

They aren't perfect though, you want to keep them away from sparks and some water may penetrate if you are in heavy rain and completely stationery for long periods i.e. not generating body heat. Fabric is easily repairable with needle and thread, and punctures do not cause leakage, however it isn't a ruftie-tuftie fabric and not suitable for pushing through thorns.

I rate it as lighter, more waterproof and just as comfortable to wear as unproofed cotton ventile. Not as tear resistant though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE