Axe Supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Hi All - i'm after getting a Wetterling long hunting axe (time someone tried something different to a GB Sfa) ;)

Anyone know of a uk supplier (that may even have stock....... :p )

cheers peeps!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I believe that 'Light My Fire' in Edinburgh stock them.

You should try them both first though, they have quite a different feel...

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I know that Bearclaw Bushcraft did sell them, but they list them as "Out of Stock" at the moment. Can't be of any more help I'm afraid, but the folks at Bearclaw might be able to give you some info....

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I got my Wetterlings from Extreme Outdoor Gear - however the delivery wasn't fast, as I think the guy only orders them in from outside the UK once orders have been placed - mine took 3-4 weeks to arrive.

Having played with both the GB and the Wetterlings axes at the Scottish Meets, I think each has its own advantage and ideal uses.

The Wetterlings has a heavier, broader profiled head, and a thicker handle - this made it better for splitting logs, general chopping etc.

The GB has a narrower profile, and a thinner handle, this made it better for finer work, and probably better for tasks requiring more cutting than splitting, such as tree-felling etc.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
splash out another £30-40 and get a Roselli!

i did and i think it beats the pants off a GB SFA

>duck n run for cover :eek: <

scruff
(a proud roselli owner :D)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
As match says, we tried both head to head at the Scottish meet and it is exactly as he says. The Wetterling splits better. The GB will cut deeper chips when felling or cutting up a big log. In my opinion, for UK use, you could argue that the Wetterlings is a better bet, especially if you have a saw too.

The GB to my mind handles more precisely - but this may reflect more practice with it compared to Wetterlings.

The Roselli is very attractive but I've never used one.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Thanks for the advice Guys! (and Scruff for complicating matters further! :p )
In the end I have decided on a SFA from Andrew at Outdoorcode - even after he went to the trouble of getting me a price for the Wetterlings (which he can get if anyone else wants them btw)

I can't praise Andrew enough!!! - he went way beyond the call of customer care - thanks Mate :D

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Wetterlings aboot £30-35
GB SFA aboot £40
Roselli ahem...i can't...ahem...remember....aboot £60 :rolleyes:

g4ghb - ;)

doc - maybe i'll see u sometime 2 let u have a whirl. i get more and more impressed with it each time i use it.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The wetterlings I got which is closest to the SFA is this one:

http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk/wetterlings-axe-15-16h-p-6569.html

Price came to around 26 quid including delivery.

Having played with both the Wetterlings and SFA, I'd say that the quality and feel of both is close enough to not merit the SFA's extra cost, given that most of what I'd use it for is splitting, which in my experience the Wetterlings handles better (Warning - your own mileage may vary!)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i spoke to Joe ODS/EOG about axes a little while ago.. he said he is getting masses of orders for the wetterlings axes at the moment.. i would say match probably got caught at a time when Joe was out of stock as he is normaly very quick with delivery and his prices are very competative! i would advice anyone to use the service! ;)

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
cheers for the info :)
i just mailed andrew at outdoor code aswell, i'm not sure if i should post his prices here but they are good and he was very helpful.
Anyone ever come across a roselli for less than £60 ?

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
oh well,
they do look good though, and they sound like they're pretty versatile,
guess i'll have to wait until someone who doesn't like there's decides to sell.

ganit

Jul 13, 2005
Pendle
I too have bought Wetterlings axes from http://www.extremeoutdoorgear.co.uk/
I bought the Forest axe initially, 25 inches long which i prefer as im a bit tall.
Delivery was quick and the axe was only £31, so i bought two more, delivery took ages, but they did come, and im very pleased with them, got the big chopping axe, and the 12 inch hatchet, which is stunning.
I think they compare very well to Gransfors personally, and they are a good deal cheaper, whilst still being hand made (under a powered hammer).
The compromise i suspect is in handle quality, not that they are badly done, but i suspect that Gransfors pay a good deal more attention to this part of the axe.
I cant help wondering if Gransfors spend alot more money on marketing.
Wetterlings are definitly working tools, rather than prestige objects, and thats why im sticking with them.
The Wetterlings 20 inch hunting axe is only £23.36 not a fortune to find out if you will like them.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I have two Gransfors and one Wetterlings and seen several of both with other people.
As far as the quality of the handle goes, G has a better finish but the grain is far from being vertical on all axes and occassionally there is some heartwood, too.
With the Wetterlings, you have to sand off the varnish of the handle. Then you can, as with the Gransfors, start to improve its finish (moisten the wood, hair-dryer it, sand off the splinters, repeat several times, rub Ballistol or similar stuff in)
The fitting of the head is somewhat sloppy on my Wetterlings, with a large (3x8mm) gap on top of the handle.
The sheats are very simple, rivetted together, with the wetterlings not even having a welt.
If I could get a Gransfors in selected (!) pieces, I would very much prefer to hang one myself.
As a first axe, I would recommend to get the Gransfors "Small Forest axe" or the Wetterlings "Large Hunting axe". They both make a god starting-point to gain experience with.

leon-1

I have used both the Gransfors SFA and the Wetterlings LHA, but I don't own either, I liked the feel of the Gransfors hunters axe (very similair to the SFA, different haft, the cutting edge is slightly different and it has a flay poll) so this is what I ended up buying, it is sharp and does what I require of it.

In the end an axe is like any other cutting tool and each of us will have our preferences (as a good cheap axe I find the fiskars very hard to beat) and one mans meat is anothers poison.

Ultimately it is not the axe, but what the user can do with it and technique plays a very large part in the use of an axe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE