Ash Bark Tool Container For Eric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This is the first Ash bark container I've made this season, Eric Methven asked me to do him one to carry tools, so I went large!
done0803.jpg
[/IMG]
done0798.jpg
[/IMG]

I hope it's ok!- it still needs a little work but the weather went from glorious sunshine to wee'ing it down in a matter of seconds so I abandoned play.:umbrella:
anyway it'll be ready for the Chopwell Wood, free woodcraft day on 24th june (plug plug)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I need a tutorial. I was messing with some ash bark the other day on a fallen tree - it had a terrible tendency to split lengthwise though. Lack of technique I expect

Red

rancid badger

I had a feeling about this one, I'll wait and see how much more interest there is and then I'll maybe sort out something. To be honest, it takes me ages to get the pictures on and sometimes, they dissappear when I come back from the photobucket thing. I could do with a tutorial myself!
The problem of the bark splitting: when you say the other day, are we talking a couple of days, week, week's etc.? The bark has only just loosened off up here in the last two weeks or so. So I would imagine it's been ok a bit longer where you are. had it been down a while?. There are several different factors, not least of which is seasonal.
If ever we can arrange a summer meet up here, I'd be delighted to run a bark container class.
I'll be making much smaller ones during the Chopwell Forest Festival!

Thanks very much for the positive feedback
kind regards;
R.B.
p.s. Red- back about the staff shortly!

rancid badger

that looks great! I like how you have used multiple peices to make one basket! What is it stitched with?

Tutorial would be fantastic!!;)
The multi layering means you can make bigger containers, as well as adding strength and durability.

I stitch them with a variety of natural materials, this one is spruce root, while others, I do with various inners barks, such as willow, elm or occasionally oak but that makes a right mess of your hands! root's are ideal because you can split them down, at least twice and they also form their own needle for stitching!
word of warning on the tutorial:I think it will be a bit big, theres a lot to get across and it takes me a while to stoke this computer thing up with enough twigs and whatnot to get the steam up !

Kind regards:
R.B.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You see there me ignorance shown up!

It was last week mate. I'm guessing a recent fall but that means within the last month or two - I don't get up into that area often. I was messing with birch bark and saw the fallen ash and remembering threads on the subject cut some bark. It came away very easily and was very moist underneath but even a small flex caused splits. Probably not the right time to harvest or it had dried out some

Interesting to learn though - and easier to get off whole thna birch!

Red

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Oh boy, I'm excited now. Thanks mate, it looks great. If you fancy doing a tutorial I can host the photos for you on my server. That's not a problem. I can help with puting it together as well if you like. Give me a ring sometime soon and we'll chat (not sunday, I'm cutting trees down on sunday).

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE