Article: Pathfinder cookset

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
So for once, it's actually cheaper to buy from the UK :eek: No better service than the one Heinnie offers and no risk of fees on top either.

Sep 9, 2014
Poole
Hi guys i got one of these and i have to say i am really quite impressed with it.

I was looking for a cooking system and decided the pathfinder was the better buy, one main reason is the water bottle is stainless steal.

I keep this kit in my work van ( i am plumber). So i have always got a drink, one thing i did notice the stainless steel seams to keep the water colder for longer that a plastic bottle.

It is a little of the larger and heavy side, but personally think its acceptable.

The last reason i went for this was all the issue about drinking water from plastic bottles. Especially as i use it daily, and it left in my van.

Again several times the water has kept cold even when my cab is boiling.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Does any one have the other pathfinder set, that's just the bottle & mug ?

Rob

Hi,

I have the "other" Pathfinder set and I really like it. I have used it as the only cooking kit for two on a couple of three day/two night trips and found it more than adequate.

I have just bought the hanger device but haven't used it yet. It does look good - certainly more secure for use with the cup than the Crusader hanger and cup I've used before.

The lid is an excellent fit for the cup and a lot lighter than the Crusader "heavy lid" which is the equivalent that I've used for a couple of years. I have used the Pathfinder cup lid on top of the bottle (balanced) to speed up the boil and keep bits out. That works well too.

Youtube has a video of using the set to produce char cloth. I've not tried, but it looks convincing and the idea would work from looking at the parts needed.

I managed to find a second hand Maxpedition bottle pouch that fits the set really well. There's plenty of potential for converting the bottle and pouch into an effective survival set by using the webbing. You can use one or more round tins from boiled travel sweets as an insert for extra kit. With the front zip area too, there's plenty of space for bits such as line and a small knife.

Having seen the new canteen too, I prefer the older version - but I may be biased by my existing kit.:)

All the best.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm not getting on with the Pathfinder set. The main fault lies with the lid on the canteen. It's virtually impossible to open with wet hands as the ridges are not prominent enough. On top of that, the threads aren't deep enough and it's very easy to cross thread. You have to be quite careful when putting the screw top back on. It's quite a major design fault.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well, drying your hands and cap would fix it. But as it's a water bottle you shouldn't have to. Using it in a rainforest environment would make it a right royal pain in the butt to use.

Another thing is the silicon sealant in the lid. It's good, but as soon as it get's rough from grit or dirt, then it would start to wear and break down very quickly. As the lid cannot be attached to the bottle, it's prone to misplacement and loss too. It really needs an attachment that can be removed when using the canteen over a fire.

That's just the canteen. The mug also has its bad points. The lock is easily knocked up which results in you getting hot drink poured down yourself. It doesn't take much, and it even works up and out itself depending on the fit you get straight from the factory. This makes the whole cup pivot and release all of its contents.

I thought the set would be just what I was looking for, but it seems to have been put out without much thought other than the steel canteen and it all fitting together neatly. It takes most of its ideas from proven canteen sets already out there in service. It should have taken the best of these and put them together. The end product doesn't live up to what was a very promising concept.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well, drying your hands and cap would fix it. But as it's a water bottle you shouldn't have to. Using it in a rainforest environment would make it a right royal pain in the butt to use.

Another thing is the silicon sealant in the lid. It's good, but as soon as it get's rough from grit or dirt, then it would start to wear and break down very quickly. As the lid cannot be attached to the bottle, it's prone to misplacement and loss too. It really needs an attachment that can be removed when using the canteen over a fire.

That's just the canteen. The mug also has its bad points. The lock is easily knocked up which results in you getting hot drink poured down yourself. It doesn't take much, and it even works up and out itself depending on the fit you get straight from the factory. This makes the whole cup pivot and release all of its contents.

I thought the set would be just what I was looking for, but it seems to have been put out without much thought other than the steel canteen and it all fitting together neatly. It takes most of its ideas from proven canteen sets already out there in service. It should have taken the best of these and put them together. The end product doesn't live up to what was a very promising concept.

Many thanks for that. I was sorely tempted but I think I'll just stick with my Crusader set: I know that it works exactly as I want it to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE