Article: Matt Simmons: Fieldcrafter-uk knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Diving Duck

Oct 2, 2013
South Wales
I bought the knife after reading the review on here, I showed it to a mate who likes all-weather camping up the Brecon Beacons, he said "Beautiful, but too sharp for my liking" a joy to use IMO made by a master craftsman

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well as mentioned John let me get my hands on the knife when out in the woods recently...
It is a very nice looking knife that is well weighted...I did find the handle a little narrow for me and personally would have to ask Matt to make it a bit fatter if I ever got around to buying one...but I'm no expert and I'll leave any real feed back to the lads who will eventually own one of Matts knives :)

Nov 13, 2012
durham
Break it? I'd like to see you try ;) My knives don't break, 3mm is more than thick enough. If Mors kochanski can stand on a 2.5mm mora with it embedded in a log and it not break (stick tang) how do you think a 3mm full tang knife would cope? :)

It is not the blade I would be concerned about breaking, it is the scales. A bit of carless battoning might damage the wood :aargh4:. I use it for carving and it is the best knife I have used for the task :notworthy. Probably a bit over cautious, but I love the thing and I will treat it with loving care :rolleyes:. Where as the Fieldcrafter knife, I will batter the heck out of it and not worry about the mircarta scales. I had a go at carving with it and will do it, but not as good as my SPB 1.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No worries mate :) What scales does it have on? I've made loads of em, and can't remember which was which :)

It is not the blade I would be concerned about breaking, it is the scales. A bit of carless battoning might damage the wood :aargh4:. I use it for carving and it is the best knife I have used for the task :notworthy. Probably a bit over cautious, but I love the thing and I will treat it with loving care :rolleyes:. Where as the Fieldcrafter knife, I will batter the heck out of it and not worry about the mircarta scales. I had a go at carving with it and will do it, but not as good as my SPB 1.

Nov 13, 2012
durham
No worries mate :) What scales does it have on? I've made loads of em, and can't remember which was which :)

Thuya burl and black liners with brass pins and tubes, its loverly.

Did a bit of battering with the Fieldcrafter today, splits wood really well.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ah, Thuya. :) While beautiful... its actually a pretty durable wood. :) One of my faves, the smell you get while working it is addictive :)

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I love my Fieldcrafter. I have only had it a few weeks but I can't get over how nice it feels and how good it looks. Its keeps an amazing edge, it splits wood really well and feathering sticks is effortless. My only gripe about the knife is not getting one sooner :D

The sheath is OK but I didn't buy it for that. I already had one that this knife just happens to fit in perfectly.

If your thinking of a really robust knife then I can certainly recommend a Fieldcrafter-UK!:cool:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Very impressed with mine.
You could build a house with this knife. It's a beast. The fit, the handle size and sheath are all good. The blade WOW. The higher grind on the thick steel stock, provides the angle that you get from a thinner blade.Great for carving, far better than I expected.
You get great value for your money.
It was a pleasure to deal with Matt . Next day delivery, aswell.
I would highly recommend fieldcrafter uk.

Dec 7, 2016
S.Wales
I've had one for a few years, any advice on sharpening with Japanese water Stone would be appreciated.
I'm more interested in a recommended Japanese water Stone. I've had an Amazon voucher for £25

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2016
S.Wales
Answering my own question....at 66 and a retired joiner, I'll stick to what I've used most of my working life.....I've done my head in watching so called experts on YouTube .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE