Article: Matt Simmons: Fieldcrafter-uk knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Great review John! :)

The knives looks great, perform great and cost a fraction of other handmade knives available here! I think Matt is on to a winner here and I may delve into my very deep pockets sometime! ;)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Excelent review John, i've put my money where my mouth is & purchased one, these knives are a true bargain, & excelent in every respect. Thank you for the review John, & thank you Matt for making the knife.

Rob

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I personally am more of a lurker on BCUK, but i feel the need to comment here....

A glowing review from a long standing and very respected member shows volumes for the work Matt puts into his business. But i can also see the joy he gains from "crafting" these great looking knives, I also see the large personal investment he has put into his work which sometimes shows in threads where Matt comes off as egotistical. My personal view is he is very proud of this great work, which i hope that in the future i will be able to afford and own a knife very much like this.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Matt first caught my eye a couple over years ago on BB. He introduced some interesting and personal, sometimes artistic, designs.

I've seen more variations on the Woodlore/Bushcrafter theme than many, but I really like this long handle. Looking back at your work Matt, it's your preference, lots of snaking length and curve.

Jun 25, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Thank you John for the review !
And thanks guys for the comments and purchases .
I'm really not egotistical , I think it's the way iv come across under attack or when it's not face to face communication ??

I know I wish I could carve like John can !
Me and wood never get along well .
All the best , matt

Aug 8, 2013
gloucester
Good review Matt has obviously put much effort and pride into his work which without even looking at one would convince me to buy but, as i am new to all this i am not sure of the legalities of what knives you can take with you on adventures so will need to do some research first

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
After purchasing my knife from Matt it was delivered to my door withing 24 hours. On first removing it from the sheath I was surprised how dainty it felt in my hand. It is actually not nearly as massive as it looks in the photos. At first I thought I had made a mistake in purchasing this knife as the handle felt small for my hands. After playing with it for a while I think I got to understand what Matt was thinking when designing this knife. On closer inspection though the thick blade pretty much makes the whole knife a handle and you can move your finger up and down the reassuringly thick blade in a remarkably controllable way. I can see how for butchering especially this would be a boon when working your way around the joints of an animal. It turns out (on first inspection) that the thickness of the blade is a bit of a red herring although I am sure it will split wood like a brutish MOD knife it is a different beast entirely once in the hand. I can't wait for the weekend when I hope I can get time to put it through its paces outside.

Nov 13, 2012
durham
I have bought one of these knives with the black canvas micarta scales. My first impression was that it felt really comfortable in my hand, handle not digging in anywhere. Normal glove size is large. The blade width looks huge at first, when you are used to a 3mm blade. I love my Mark Hill knife but would not use it it in the field as I would not want to break it. This Fieldcraft knife will take more abuse than I can ever throw at it and more, at the price, it is worth every penny. A work horse, deer, rabbit or whatever.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just been shown a typo in the text - the blade is 9.75mm long, not 0.75mm long :)
The typo got past me, my proof reader, Matt and Tony to get to press!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have just been shown a typo in the text - the blade is 9.75mm long, not 0.75mm long :)
The typo got past me, my proof reader, Matt and Tony to get to press!

I'm still not convinced John

9.75mm is awfy short for a blade:) Have you got your cm's and mm's mixed up? :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jeez!
I put in half the same typo on the correction! 9.75 cm!
It is too early for me to think straight and I have always been a lousy typist!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Break it? I'd like to see you try ;) My knives don't break, 3mm is more than thick enough. If Mors kochanski can stand on a 2.5mm mora with it embedded in a log and it not break (stick tang) how do you think a 3mm full tang knife would cope? :)

I love my Mark Hill knife but would not use it it in the field as I would not want to break it.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Break it? I'd like to see you try ;) My knives don't break, 3mm is more than thick enough. If Mors kochanski can stand on a 2.5mm mora with it embedded in a log and it not break (stick tang) how do you think a 3mm full tang knife would cope? :)

It's perception over reality and almost all of us suffer from it. How many £10 Mora horror stories have we heard about blades snapping and handles coming loose when used out doors? The answer is pretty much none and yet so many of us pay up to twenty or thirty times that kind of money for a full tang and a thicker blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE