Article: How to "Purify" Pine Resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pine resin is lovely stuff :D
It can be chewed (an acquired taste admittedly) and it cleanses the mouth, it's antibacterial. Eases the toothache and helps ulcers heal and inhibits new ones beginning.
It makes one of the best natural glues :approve:
It can be used to make roisin for bow strings.
It burns with a sweet, bright, flame, though it can be smoke. It's a lampblack soot that's given off, and it works for inkmaking.
It can be used with ground herbs and flowers to make scented beads.
It has been used to cover small cuts scrapes. Messy, but it works. Best used with a cover of some kind, paper thin birch bark is sound.
It's an ingredient in incense (copal) and it is also used in plaisters....think compresses, for chesty complaints.
It can be purified, with time and effort, to make turpentine, which opens up a whole new list of uses.

Good stuff :D

cheers,
Toddy

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
thats a great way to do it...i was toying with the hot water/muslin cloth idea...thanks for sharing that as I have loads of barky/gritty lumps of pin resin here...brill! how much is lost in the "burning" process though?

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
It can be chewed?
I collected some the other day, only to have a play with, put it all in an old copper pan, and heated it over a Coleman stove, when it got to bubbling point I passed it through muslin, into an empty coffee ground tin. When the last bits dripped through, I reheated the coffee tin on the stove until very runny and then poured into used cake foils. When cool took them out of foil and stored them in the cool coffee tin.
All I need now is a use!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE