Article: How To…. Build a Finnish Candle – Raappanan tuli – Part 6

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Yep...traditionally one would not use fresh wood for these but dry/old wood..either cutting down dead tree trunk or getting very resinous log for the purpose. Pine lights up quite easily but one would not want to sit or set tent canvas too close.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
In the version I have seen, one simply makes two cuts (in the form of a cross i.e. at 90 degrees to each other) with a chainsaw to about three quarters of the way down the log. The remaining quarter at the bottom of the log serves keep the four vertical pieces separate and supported. Clearly, I accept using a chainsaw isn't especially traditional :)

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
In the version I have seen, one simply makes two cuts (in the form of a cross i.e. at 90 degrees to each other) with a chainsaw to about three quarters of the way down the log. The remaining quarter at the bottom of the log serves keep the four vertical pieces separate and supported. Clearly, I accept using a chainsaw isn't especially traditional :)
Seems you covered this in Part 1. Apologies.

Nov 5, 2014
Cheshire

Slightly cheating a bit, having split the log..a silver birch, I separated the eight wedges with four small twigs at the top and secured the wedges with copper wire before filling the lower part with tinder...went up good style and impressed the teachers at the staff meeting..the head had decided they would bin the usual classroom meeting and have mince pies, marshmallows and mulled wine heated over their own fires lit without using matches as a team building exercise. Have to admit I was well impressed with the way it burnt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE