Article: Gastro Rations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Interesting Idea, and would probably go down well with the glamping circuit, but at £20 a throw, and some of the quantities...
the Chilli bottle could easily be turned into a tube/sachet and the extra room taken up with more brew kit/ chocolate, etc

good review though, certainly "Food for thought"!!!....... sorry

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Interesting Idea, and would probably go down well with the glamping circuit, but at £20 a throw, and some of the quantities...
the Chilli bottle could easily be turned into a tube/sachet and the extra room taken up with more brew kit/ chocolate, etc

good review though, certainly "Food for thought"!!!....... sorry

Can't see glampers getting into the likes of porridge and jerky.

"It’s obvious that the aim of this product is to provide a more upmarket meal experience " :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: If thats an upmarket meal experience I dread to think of the slops they eat at home The box looks like a happy meal box :lmao:

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
If I had that sort of money for a days eating I would be hieing off in the direction of the nearest Hostelry...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Good idea, I think. Would make a nice Christmas present for someone on active service. It would be interesting to see how cheaply one could source the individual components for a DIY kit as there are some bits in here I wouldn't choose given the option. Nice review, though

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
£20 does seem a bit steep. Willing to bet that you could cobble together something similar yourself without it being too much bother?

On the subject of gastronomical rations, if you ever get a chance to get your mitts on them you want to try the French ones - 'ration de combate individuelle rechauffable' if my GCSE French hasn't failed me. Salmon, duck, boar, rabbit pate, and even a little sachet of chocolat chaude for you to dunk your croissant in at breakfast time - compared to corned beef hash and dumplings in butterscotch sauce they are magnifique!

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
£20 does seem a bit steep. Willing to bet that you could cobble together something similar yourself without it being too much bother?

Army rations http://www.armyrations.co.uk/ were offering a Build-Your-Own ration pack, from £12-£20ish, depending on what you chose to put in it.

Personally I prefer taking de-hydrated food out and about, the extra weight of wet pouches isnt worth the extra strain on my back. IF these guys offered a tasty dry main & desert They'd have me running a marathon to get my hands on them, £20 is pretty reasonable if it means I can avoid traipsing all over Tesco's tracking down the stuff.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Army rations http://www.armyrations.co.uk/ were offering a Build-Your-Own ration pack, from £12-£20ish, depending on what you chose to put in it.

Personally I prefer taking de-hydrated food out and about, the extra weight of wet pouches isnt worth the extra strain on my back. IF these guys offered a tasty dry main & desert They'd have me running a marathon to get my hands on them, £20 is pretty reasonable if it means I can avoid traipsing all over Tesco's tracking down the stuff.

Have you tried be well expedition foods, they do 24 hour freeze dried packs, You dont get loads of extra bits though, just breakfast, a flapjack, main meal, pudding, a fruit drink and hot chocolate but theyre about £11 plus postage each but quite tasty. Just make sure you use the right amount of water as I found out shepherds pie isnt nice when its still crunchy.

Not sure about the gastro rations, they do sound nice but £20 a day is a bit steep.

VFR800Essex

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2012
Essex UK
£20 is a bit steep considering it just contains off the shelf stock. You could use Army rat packs that come in cheaper. One word of warning...don't look at the ingredient listing on Army issue GB/US MRE. They throw healthy eating out the window and are full of crap!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE