army basha as hammock or a frame?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Hey all sorry i posted on another forum already but need to know asap, Im wondering if an issue army basha is strong enough to be used as a hammock or in an A frame the part you lay on? and if so how would you go about setting it up ? :)
thanks everyone :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
My basha is army issue and if like mine yours has loops on it along what would be the ridge line I was told by a guy in the Ta that is so they can be used as stretcher.
But that would be folded in half anf not single skin like.
Dave

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I've not got any experiance of this myself but I'm fairly sure it is designed to be strong enough to use as a stretcher when doubled up so should be strong enough to use as a hammock.
There are poppers down each side so it can be popped together. Then i suppose you could feed a pole through the sides for support. I wouldn't trust the loops to hold your weight though, incase you're thinking of hanging it from them.
My advice would be to try it out at home first before relying on it.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Ahh thanks guys :) I know doubled up it is stronger when used as stretcher, so the hoops might be strong enough since when doubled up there is only handles on one side, pretty sure in immediate action by Andy McNab he says he used a 58' ponco for his Aframe in the jungle ?:O

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Hey all i posted on another forum already but need to know asap, Im wondering if an issue army basha is strong enough to be used as a hammock or in an A frame the part you lay on? and if so how would you go about setting it up ? :)
thanks everyone :)

The material itself should be strong enough, how it's suspension fixings cope with the weight, without tearing them, is probably the thing to worry about.

Personally I'd have thought 2 long sidepoles, like a stretcher, would be the way to go for an A frame. Roll the sides of the basha around the lon poles a couple of times fix in place, so long as the long poles can't spin your weight should keep the basha fixed on them.

The alternative would be to pleat the ends and tie around them with your hammok support lines. Will give a shorter, more traditional, hanging hammock.

Either way it's probably going to be sweaty due to the waterproof material.

Edit : Just thought of another alternative ;

Double it over and tie the 4 corners out, possibly using sheep bends?

The idea behind all these methods is to increase the amount of basha material in contact with it's supports so it's not taking lots of strain at very localised points.

Let us know how you get on.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have spent a night in a bash before... the only thing you need to faff around with is spreader bars to stop it trying to turn you in to a human sausage.

It was reasonably comfy though - very versatile bit of kit.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Just as an aside did you know that a '58 pattern sleeping bag has poppers around the bottom that you can attach an army bivvy/tarp to? Thus creating a waterproof (but non-breathable) bivy bag. I thought that I should share that with the rest of you before I forget it:11doh:.

Just as an aside did you know that a '58 pattern sleeping bag has poppers around the bottom that you can attach an army bivvy/tarp to? Thus creating a waterproof (but non-breathable) bivy bag. I thought that I should share that with the rest of you before I forget it:11doh:.

To clarify the above and expand on this a little bit. The 58 patt sleeping bag (Feather and down available in regular and long sizes) has a piece of webbing sewn onto the bottom of the bag where the zip stops and the waterproof bottom starts. This was to enable the 58 pattern poncho which had a matching webbing strip with studs to marry with the sleeping bag. When you did this it was best to peg the poncho out where it married with your sleeping bag at the foot end and then use para cord to tie off the poncho a couple of feet off the ground at the head end. If you then pegged the sides taught, you had a very weatherproof bivi with the flaps of the poncho acting as doors at the head end.
This is brilliant idea and condensation was minimal however personal admin space was also minimal. Basic functional and it did the job. I personally used this set up for many years throughout Scotland during hard times in the eighties when homeless and out of work. Many squadies would stud two ponchos together one on top of the other with one being the ground sheet to create a very servicable bivi for two with plenty space. )

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I stand corrected, as always it seems:lmao: That being said I did try it on the South Downs one weekend and it worked (having forgotten by proper bivi bag)- I used a bit of para-cord round the guy loops to kind of draw string it together. Top bit of bushcraft improvisation.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ahh nice can you explain briefly how you set it up Squidders?

We folded the tarp in half took the bark off 2 approx 1 1/2 foot long sticks of about 3/4 inch diamiter and cut notches in the end. Then poked the webbing in to the notches and tied it to the trees. It was very simple really.

I thought I had some photos but I don't seem to have... Bambodoggy may have some though? perhaps.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I've spent many happy(?) weeks living in just such a basha. They are functional but no room as you said they do get a build up of condensation if you are static for too long (not usually a prob in forces!!) They work very well doubled with poles in each side over an A frame, I used this for 2 wks in N Carolina while our cousins from over the water had all manner of hammocks and camp cots!! I still reckon I slept better that most of them!!:bandit:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE