Anyone spin/knit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
I've been assigned a new task today: I'm making her indoors a spindle, so she can spin wool. :D

It occured to me that she might like to browse around some forums - she always tut-tuts at me for my addiction to bcuk and BB :eek: :cool:

soooo... I'm wondering whether anyone spins or knits, and whether you know of any websites/forums to do with that sort of thing. :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Jim_w.
Just had a chat with her indoors, she has a spinning wheel and used to do alot. She does't know any forums but did say that there should be some local clubs and societies that might be helpful .
If you want any further advice don't hesitate to pm me and i''ll pass it on to swmbo.
good luck!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
jim_w said:
I've been assigned a new task today: I'm making her indoors a spindle, so she can spin wool. :D

It occured to me that she might like to browse around some forums - she always tut-tuts at me for my addiction to bcuk and BB :eek: :cool:

soooo... I'm wondering whether anyone spins or knits, and whether you know of any websites/forums to do with that sort of thing. :)

I do, the link below is for the spinners, weavers,dyers guild and there is now an on-line guild too. Link on the site.
Best wishes,
Toddy

http://www.wsd.org.uk/

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Ooooh that looks useful. Seems like a real-world group is the best bet - I'll point her to that website. Cheers!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
If you're making a hand-spindle, this is easy - you just need a disc of wood/plastic/metal (even a few old CD's will do) - drilled perfectly centrally, then a straight bar put through, with a small nick or a hook in the top.

If you're making a spinning wheel, then this is a more elaborate task!

For more information on hand spinning, have a look at http://www.joyofhandpsinning.com which has a lot of information, including good videos on how to card, spin etc.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
match said:
If you're making a hand-spindle, this is easy - you just need a disc of wood/plastic/metal (even a few old CD's will do) - drilled perfectly centrally, then a straight bar put through, with a small nick or a hook in the top.

If you're making a spinning wheel, then this is a more elaborate task!

For more information on hand spinning, have a look at http://www.joyofhandpsinning.com which has a lot of information, including good videos on how to card, spin etc.

Oops,dead link. http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/

Slight spolling mostake in original :D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I learnt knit from a young age, and now also spin and weave. My late grandmother and uncle are/were the ones for the wheel.... I use a drop spindle, gathering woolfleece scraps off the barbed wire fences...... just carved a drop spindle for cordage making ;) Karen is also working on a project cataloging natural dyes...... got about 200+ so far :cool:

Any questions you have, please feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can :)

Its addictive by the way ;)

:D
Ed

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Cheers guys! No doubt I'll have questions from Becky to pass on soon enough. Thanks for the info so far. :D :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ed said:
I learnt knit from a young age, and now also spin and weave. My late grandmother and uncle are/were the ones for the wheel.... I use a drop spindle, gathering woolfleece scraps off the barbed wire fences...... just carved a drop spindle for cordage making ;) Karen is also working on a project cataloging natural dyes...... got about 200+ so far :cool:

Any questions you have, please feel free to ask and I'll help as much as I can :)

Its addictive by the way ;)

:D
Ed

Can you use a drop spindle with nettles?

If so,some details would be appreciated :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Toddy said:
Yes, but it's a, "first catch your nettles" scenario. They need an awful lot of preparation......best advice.......buy your missus some flax!
http://www.winghamwoolwork.co.uk/
supply all kinds of fibres, are utterly reliable and helpful too.

Cheers,
Toddy

Not me missus,me. :p

I used to have a wheel and a 3 foot loom years ago.Always used raw sheep fleece though.

I've never tried vegetable fibres.Got a fair bit of stripped nettle fibre which I was going to do by hand but being lazy I thought that a drop spindle might be quicker. :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BorderReiver said:
Not me missus,me. :p

I used to have a wheel and a 3 foot loom years ago.Always used raw sheep fleece though.

I've never tried vegetable fibres.Got a fair bit of stripped nettle fibre which I was going to do by hand but being lazy I thought that a drop spindle might be quicker. :eek:

Brilliant! :) Okay then, it spins like flax, that is you need to spin it damp to get the fibres to move enough to take the twist evenly. If the fibre bundle is quite small then you can just mist/spray it before you start, if it's bigger or going to take longer than the drying out will, then a small bowl of water that you dip your fingers into will be enough.
There's a lot of mince talked about drawing fibres through your mouth to moisten them....the retting process leaves the fibres full of bacteria....it's a really bad idea. Women who spin this way end up with their mouths surrounded with cold sore like infections :( Just nasty.
It helps a great deal if the fibres are spread out in fine drift layers and then gently folded around a distaff and cross wrapped with a ribbon or lace. The distaff can be as simple as a newspaper cone stuck on top of a garden cane, or a bullrush (reedmace) split into four at the top end and tied into a cage with the fibres either inside or spread around it. Eric Methven, http://www.countrycrafts.co.uk will make spindles and distaffs to order, if you want proper ones.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE