Anyone Know any brass saucepan companies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Finally dawned on me brass is the way to go

It has

Low reactivity
Low thermal resistance
Low(ish by comparison to aluminium) thermal capacitance
High thermal conductivity

The only thing against it is its gonna be about the same weight as steel, but that is all.

Can anyone help?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It strikes me that an alloy of Copper and Zinc might not be the best thing to use for food; I'm not trying to put a damper on your idea, just expressing my first thoughts on reading your post. As far as I'm aware neither of those are metals used for cooking in without at least being tinned, and tinned pots are an expensive and somewhat delicate for open fire/stove cooking....................

I really hope somebody comes along and shows this to be mis-guided :)

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
As Mac said brass is a poisonous alloy of Zinc which is why they aren't used to cook in, even copper bottom pans are usually lined with stainless steel nowadays.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Brass pans were always tinned on the inside as even relatively tiny amounts of verdigris can have a nasty effect on humans if ingested. I picked up a copy of a brass trade kettle from a place in the US but I think reenactment suppliers over here have them now. I picked up a brass frying pan with its tin lining intact on a flea market for a couple of quid and seen plenty of brass jam pans that are usable at carboots and fleas.

http://www.goosebay-workshops.com/About-Brass-and-Copper-Cookware

For some info on brass and copper, whish I had the dosh for some of the stuff they make.

atb

Tom

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well a tin lining is a way round, or even a titanium one, and there must be a grade of brass that is usable, brass is just a copper alloy these days, you can actually get titanium brass! Is red gold beneath 50% actually gold brass? Copper seems too reactive and soft

Thanks for the info so far.

As for the verdigris, bare aluminium also develops something if not cared for that looks a little black, noirdigris!

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
You could keep the brass highly polished but tin is the best way to go I reckon. You can have old pans retinned if you find some you like in a charity shops or wherever.

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE