Anyone interested in a long bushcrafting session?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I've just got about a space of a year where I am free to take about 6 months off. From this june to next september. Would anyone have any ideas on where to go? I fancied alaska, or canada, or perhaps somewhere in north sweden/finland/norway. I fancied going and building a cabin or maybe doing something else. I was hoping to go in and live off the land where possible, although I'd bring food in as well. Be a good opportunity for someone to test themselves. I'm wondering if anyone might be interested in coming? Ideally, you'd be younger than 30, although I'm flexible. I don't have a huge amount of money, so we'd be looking to keep costs down. If anyone has a vague interest, or is just curious, pm me.

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
im looking to take time off this year to do something worth while, canada the amazon the desert anything, lets chat, i work full time and the most i can get off work is 3 weeks, if u are looking for longer , go for it , i rd still be up for a visit , hell 3 weeks in the boosh sure beats working ird like to be a part of something abroad, those forests in denmark n sweden sure look good,

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
By any chance have you read 'Call of the wild' by Guy Grieve?

Good luck with your adventure, I hope it pans out well for you.
If you go to North America(Alaska) / Canada just watch out for those bears!
And most of all make sure all your planning is on the ball.

You could even take a laptop along and keep us appraised of your situation!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I did read call of the wild a while ago, but he does seem to use a lot of equipment which I might not. I've always wanted to see bears in the wild.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've always wanted to see bears in the wild.

I agree, seeing them in the wild would be a great experience as long as you don't becoame their next meal!:rolleyes: because that would just be a bi*ch wouldn't it!:D

Oh and Guy Greive didn't really do himself any favours did he!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
BTW I think the laptop idea is unlikely, what with no electricity, and most likely no internet connection.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
BTW I think the laptop idea is unlikely, what with no electricity, and most likely no internet connection.

Well never mind as long as you take a satphone (You can hire them for extended periods) with you to keep in touch with your family and for emergencies.
We will just have to hear all about your experience when you get back so make sure you keep a journal, you never know it might become a best seller:) .
Am I sounding jealous at the moment?;) That would because I am! :D
Good luck with your dream vacation mate! Where ever you end up going.:beerchug:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You could try here but I'm not talking from experience! This was just the first site that came up on a google search.:22:

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Does anyone have recommendations of particular places in alaska/canada or scandinavia that would be good? remote, good wildlife etc? have you been anywhere that was excellent?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've got no suggestions of where exactly to go, but a consideration I would have is language, if you go to say Canada you'll be able to communicate, you're going to have a hard enough time of it just staying alive, being able to communicate might be a very useful thing, especially if you have not done anything like this before, if you have then maybe it's not so important...

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Yeh, that's a major reason as to why I thought about them. Of course, the biggest factor is that they are all similar to scotlands terrain, just less spoilt and more extreme.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Arghh this sounds fantastic! I've often thought about doing something similar, though I'd want to improve my skills more first. I'm not sure I'd build a log cabin. It seems like it would be a lot of work, though it would be amazing to have one finished; I'd probably go more semi-mobile, something like the shelters the Evenk use in Siberia if you've seen the RM series. Some room and fairly comfortable, yet you could pack up the walls and take them with you say in a canoe, and see a bit more of the country too. Might also prevent too much damage being done to one particular area.
Then like you say use the land to provide food but take some basics to supplement that where necessary.
Really does sound like you're going to have a great time. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to take much time off until mid next year now :( I'd have bitten your hand off otherwise!
Just a thought - if you are interested in a blog or something like that it might be worth getting in touch with a few of the national papers, see what their thoughts are. They might be interested in running some kind of series almost in real-time, or otherwise I'm sure you'd get LOADS of people reading anything you put online. With a satphone / PDA and small solar panel or water / wind generator to recharge the batteries it wouldn't be too difficult and, assuming you wanted it, the same kit would also act as a useful connection to home.
Good luck with the trip anyway - I'm well jealous! :You_Rock_

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I did wonder about taling to papers/publishers, if i could get money that would certainly help my plans. The cabin thing was just an idea, nothing definite yet.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Hmm...
Does anyone have any ideas on how to find someone else who'd be interested? Other forums? I feel going with someone generally decreases the risk of death.

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
I would love to come mate, but I am in the same situation as I imagine lots of the other members are: wife, kids and mortgage prohibit it.

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
sounds like a fantastic idea , however after just finished reading "in to the wild"by Jon Krakauer, about a kid from a wealthy family who gives away all his money etc and hitches to alaska to live off the land . he comes to a sticky end due to daft mistakes and poor preparation. Not trying to discourage you at all , if i had the chance ,time and cash id jump at it . just remember "Perfect Planning Prevents P#ss Poor Performance"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE