Anyone had any Birch sap yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Yes! Tapped my first last weekend. Got about 10ml, but I only left if for about 45 minutes before plugging the hole. It was absolutely lovely, I really enjoyed it! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes! Tapped my first last weekend. Got about 10ml, but I only left if for about 45 minutes before plugging the hole. It was absolutely lovely, I really enjoyed it! :)

Thats not running properly Cam - you should get 10ml a minute or more when it is!

Did you find an Auger in the end?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thats not running properly Cam - you should get 10ml a minute or more when it is!

Did you find an Auger in the end?

Ohh, that sounds good, ill do it again soon :).

Yes mate, bought a lovely one off shewie, pigeon brand one with a lovely sheath made by Shep of this parish I believe :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ohh, that sounds good, ill do it again soon :).

Yes mate, bought a lovely one off shewie, pigeon brand one with a lovely sheath made by Shep of this parish I believe :).

With a 1" Auger you should be getting gallons a day on a good flow. Its startling when you see it - like a dripping tap or faster!

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I live in the NE - of the USA: and this year is turning out to be a super year for Maple syrup. My co-worker has 6 mature maples in her back garden and is tapping them now. They are filling a 5 gallon bucket (per tree) twice per day. She brought me a half litre jar of dark amber deliciousness the other day (after boiling down 20:1 or so. I am just waiting for the precipitated salt to settle before starting to make pancakes:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I find its all down to how much sun the tree gets and for how long which decides if the sap will rise earlier or later. Few trees near me were were flowing a couple of weeks back but they are on a hill out in the open with as much sun as they could want. More shaded out trees are still dry now.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Bit late to the party I know, but, I've just finished my DIY scotch eyed auger and nearly finished my little tapping kit. I'm going to try a few Birch in some woods near to work tomorrow lunch time but am I likely a bit too late?

Cheers

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bit late to the party I know, but, I've just finished my DIY scotch eyed auger and nearly finished my little tapping kit. I'm going to try a few Birch in some woods near to work tomorrow lunch time but am I likely a bit too late?

Cheers

Jon

The trees are pretty dry around here now....

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the replies, I thought that might be the case I will give it a try though. I'm sure I can put the auger to use elsewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE