Anybody got one of these? Are they any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I hope ducks go through the proper quaranteen procedures before they move from one body of water to the next, they could spread something :eek:

:lmao:[/QUOTE]

actually your right they could spread something and the EA warden in my area recons they have spread creyfish to our local trout pond

Ian

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
bogflogger said:
Well then stop flaring someone who knows the issues and do some research!

Actually I have, I know the difference between signals and native
I know it is illegal to to trap or catch native creyfish unless for scientific research and then you must have the correct documentation.
signals must not be put back but distroyed in a manner that no part of the creyfish will contaminate other water courses, even if harvested for food you could be fined if you allow the egg sacks to contaminate a stream or river.
I have permission from the local council and fishing club to fish for them with rod and line and when my EA licence comes I'll be able to trap them too

Ian

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
FYI Squidders et al:
1.Most Rivers are regularly dragged/dredged to remove algae/weed growth. Not doing so would choke the waterway and decrease Oxygen levels to the point that no fish could live in the water.

2. Biocides/disenfectants are not "Bleach" and are kept at least 100m away from the water.

3.Furthermore, do you really think "some fisherman" would go to the trouble of stocking a fishery with many thousands of pounds worth of fish, install Aerators and pumps and create the landscaping that turns an old quarry into a fishery, if they have no interest in anything but profit?

4. Where do you think fish come from? In many cases, Rivers would be completely barren, if it was not for the conservation work and Restocking done by the Enviromental Agency, or on private waters by the fishery owner. (which still involves the EA.)

5. Virtually every Woodland in the UK and most of the landscape of today IS MAN MADE.
Does this mean that you will now stop bushcrafting for 'Ethical Reasons'?

6. Every single piece of your Bushcraft gear and Clothing is the product of "altering Nature."
Do you now intend to stop using it all for 'ethical reasons'?

7. Bushcraft is just one of many Country activities, not some "Higher Truth" and you have no greater moral authority to decide what is and what is not acceptable practice in other Country persuits, particularly when you know so little about them.

8. Taken to it's logical conclusion, your 'moral stance' would leave children dying from curable deseases, mass Global starvation as crop blights increased and multiple pandemics.
I Thank the God's that enviromental policy is implemented by wiser heads than yours.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i would have thought the practice of disenfecting nets is more relevant if you are a fisherman who uses a number of artificial fishing ponds or closed ponds where the water doesnt move very much and the fish are stocked in artificialy high numbers.. there for the introduction of a disease or parasite specific to that species would spread very quickly.. i think perhaps it is less vital if your using open natural waterways..

Bam if your planning on going of the dorset coast i would suggest that these maybe arnt robust enough for open sea where you would be aiming for large lobsters and large edible crabs.. the reason i would say that these post werent really suitable is not because they couldnt handle the critters but because you need to weight the posts very heavily (we normaly use a brick or two) and even though we use heavy pots on top of that we still lose 1 or 2 every year.. thats why most people i know make their own.. often from tyers its a great way to recycle!
but as has been said at £4.99 its probably woth a spin anyway.. :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Can we try to keep this on topic, mass starvation due to crop blight is getting a long way from Bams question about this particular bit of kit.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Back on track. As mentioned the traps are amazing for catching crayfish. They have also been known to catch fish such as brown trout.

I thought they was great for lobster as well. the problem i have with my more traditional pots in the sea is that they fill quickly with spider crabs, which can put off the lobster from entering. with these types of traps the only crab i find in them are velvets. I would advise not dropping them to close to the shore as shore crabs will totally distroy the netting. Yes before someone points out catching brown trout in fixed engines is illegal.
I remember when this was such a friendly and imformative site. It appears that some members are just itching to get on thier soap box. check this thread. im sure it was about a bit of kit. If you feel strongly about it why not start a thread up instead of hijacking others.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Well my friend, as it appears that flaming by your little clique is fine when someone trys to point out enviromental concerns, I will leave you all to it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It still is a friendly and informative site, but information comes in many guises :rolleyes:

In certain circumstances these pots are illegal, there's no point faffing around on that; and cross contamination of known bio hazards is another issue too, especially with endangered species. I'd rather know about potential problems and make judgement calls appropriately than find myself unaware and causing grief.

Having said all that, it's still a good cheap deal of, perhaps, useful fishing tackle, and I've learned a few things too :D

Cheers,
Toddy

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
den said:
the problem i have with my more traditional pots in the sea is that they fill quickly with spider crabs

not a problem in my book.. spider crabs are good eating too (though i can understand your preferance to catching the lobsters..) i really enjoy getting the pics out and spending and afternoon extracting the meat from a spider crab! :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
elma said:
Actually I have, I know the difference between signals and native
I know it is illegal to to trap or catch native creyfish unless for scientific research and then you must have the correct documentation.
signals must not be put back but distroyed in a manner that no part of the creyfish will contaminate other water courses, even if harvested for food you could be fined if you allow the egg sacks to contaminate a stream or river.
I have permission from the local council and fishing club to fish for them with rod and line and when my EA licence comes I'll be able to trap them too

Ian

That's the way to do it.

elma will you let us know how tricky that EA licence is to get?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Ok, seeing as I started this can I just say a few things:

Squidders, I totally agree with pretty much what you have said and like you take a more pragmatic approach to cross contamination rather than a hysterical one.

Raskus, as you know I'm the worlds worst fisherman and know little about it so cheers for the info on disinfecting.

Tomtom, many thanks for the info on the pot useage. I've never tried potting before so it's useful to hear what you've found, I'm still going to give it a try this summer so I'll let you know how I get on :)
I also tend to agree with you about the hazards of fishing ponds compared to moving water although I recognise that both are important.

Elma, glad you liked the pots I found and hope you enjoy using them as much as I'm sure I will.

Den, cheers for the tip on not putting them too close to the shoreline :) and it is a friendly forum, I guess this is just a very imotive subject...

Bogflogger, it's great that you are so enviromentally aware and clearly you spend a lot of time researching it but maybe channelling some of that passion into your people skills would help you to get your message across better :confused:
Squidders is raising valid points about natural cross contamination and so far you've chosen not to answer them. He and I have both used a small ammount of humour to express out points but this doesn't mean that either of us doesn't take this seriously...who said enviromentalism has to be miserable? :nono:

Anyway, I started this thread to ask if anyone had used these pots and what they thought of them, many thanks to those that have and have shared their experience. :You_Rock_

If people want to carry on debating enviromental issues then don't mind me but there's other forums dedicated to that and you might be better doing it there :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Reactions: scanker and tomtom

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
bambodoggy said:
Bogtrotter, it's great that you are so enviromentally aware and clearly you spend a lot of time researching it but maybe channelling some of that passion into your people skills would help you to get your message across better :confused:
Squidders is raising valid points about natural cross contamination and so far you've chosen not to answer them. He and I have both used a small ammount of humour to express out points but this doesn't mean that either of us doesn't take this seriously...who said enviromentalism has to be miserable? :nono:

OK, mod hat on.

Bam, yeah BF's reaction might of been a little OTT, but he made a serious point and squidders basically took the p*ss with the duck thing. Squidders may have been making a valid point too, but it was put badly and with the intention of making someone look foolish (I'm psychic, so dont argue with me :) ). His jibe landed on the chin of someone who wasnt in the mood to take it, who then barked back a little too hard. So, six of one half a dozen of the other I say. Any more debating of ducks and such and I'll start locking threads and bashing heads so play nice, move along and back on topic. :)

Now, about these crayfish pots, I notice you can get the plastic ones on ebay too (the ones with the yellow end cones). Anyone have any experience of them? Or thoughts about them compared to the net variety?

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Thank you, Toddy and Martyn.

If I may, I would like to put some closure on this issue, by posting what I had hoped would be posted by 23.25 last night.

1. You are now aware that there is a cross contamination issue on Inland Freshwater.
Please research this issue before using your nets.

2. There is another issue you should be aware of, which is Blue/Green Algae, which is becoming more common on Inland Waterways.

Blue/Green Algae is EXTREMELY TOXIC.
It is quite capable of causing Severe Anaphylactic Shock. (incl: Respiratory and Heart Failure.)

It is usually found on sluggish water or ponds, although it is spreading to new locations every year.

It's looks like the Verdigris (green stuff) found on Copper pipes and should be avoided, quite literally, like the Plauge!

If you encounter it, do not handle it with bare hands, dispose of any sticks/plastic gloves/bags you use, plus any algae you have taken from the water, in a sealed plastic bag placed in a proper bin. (Or preferably, burn it all, well away from the water.)

Do not throw it back into the water and please disenfect your nets if they have been in contact with it.

If it is new at the location you were fishing, please advise the Enviroment Agency about it, so they can deal with it.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
tomtom said:
not a problem in my book.. spider crabs are good eating too (though i can understand your preferance to catching the lobsters..) i really enjoy getting the pics out and spending and afternoon extracting the meat from a spider crab! :D

Mate I totally agree.
I don’t think you can beat the sweet taste of spider meat.
I normally lay 10-20 pots of various designs and apart from the pot in question. You can bet that each one will have 2-6 spiders in each. I take what I want and return the rest, but it is nice though to have a varied catch for your beach feast.
Casting my memory back I caught an undersized brown crab in this type of trap also. I only use a couple along with my other pots as i mainly enjoy spider and cuttle.

I know of a man who uses this type of trap to catch eels regularly from his barge and last year when the river was in spate he removed the trap to find a dead kitten had washed inside. * WARNING USING A FIXED ENGINE TO CATCH EELS WITHOUT A LICENCE IS ILLEAGAL. :cop: Ha sorry could not help myself

Bam and Toddy. i stand corrected. It is a friendly and imformative site. it just gets my goat when people try to start a fight with others just because they have different opinions.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thanks for the heads up on both the pots nad the associated precautions. I didn't know we had such problems in our fisheries, simularly I'd never considered disinfecting my pruning saw and axe until i read the thread on fungus and Oak infections . :eek:

Cheers
Rich

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Whats clearly important here is to carfully look at the area you intend to fish/hunt/gather or otherwise bushcraft and..

1: find out which individual or organisation has controld over the land/waterway and seek from them the permission to use it/ hunt it/ gather it

2: consider the enviromental impact of your activity and try to minimise it

3: find out the laws reguarding your activity and abide by them

...in short use your common sense.

When taking crab or lobster from British waters (from the high tide line to 12 miles out) there are ristrictions on the size of the creatures you can take and on the taking of hen crabs or lobsters with eggs at certain times of year, make sure you know what these ristrictions are!
Similarly with cray fish in inland waterways, though i dont personaly know what they are make sure you know them before attemting to catch any.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE