Anybody Famous For Anything?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I used to perform magic shows for the x factor, Britain's got talent dropouts when they made their personal appearances. Also any 'celebs' doing pa's in Wakefield/Barnsley/Harrogate nightclubs.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
The addition to earlier, during the night out with Brian Conley, we touched on the subject of " I am a celebrity get me out of here" He said they had asked him loads of times to partake, he kept refusing telling me he was financially secure and had always had work, and did not like the idea of the show.

But told me his great mate , Joe Pasquale, had been approached, and told if he went ahead he would win! I thought how could they know that, when the show is based on a public vote?

The conversation moved on to betting, and it was suggested to me, that i could do worse than risk a few quid on Joe winning, anyway ( some of you may get a little lost here) I went into William Hill, the day they announced the contestants, Joe was about 6th best in the betting at 10/1, so i thought sod it i will have a go and put £100.00 on him, thought about it for about 10 mins, and thought i will have some more, they would not take the bet, explaining to me it was a novelty, so i shot to Totnes branch and had another £100.00 on.

Anyroad up, by lunchtime the odds had tumbled to 4/5! he slowly contracted all through the show and was declared the winner, Hills did try and have a stewards with me over the second £100.00, but eventually paid.

Ever since then, i have never believed in the phone/public vote system, bearing in mind this was not some phone operative, passing info, as the votes were coming in, it was before the blooming show had started!

That was 2004
Getting to your issues thing Pesterjohn, i was most surprised last year to see Brian down to do the show, rushed into Hills, for a bet and he was 7/4 fav, so i gave it a swerve, no value, so glad i did, as the poor chap suffered some kind of breakdown and left the show after a few days.

Funny how the evil press have left him alone since too, not like them.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Meh, I'd rather have money than fame.unfortunately i'm broke and can't remember half the things i've done. Had some good times though and done some daft stuff in the past to the point where I think it sounds too bizarre to be true...

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Back when I was a taxi driver, I picked up Tony Christy..he wanted to go to a place called Douglas..Half way there I started singing "is this the way to get to douglas , every night I been boffing my pillow"
He didnt laugh, and he didnt tip neither

Ahh well C'est la vie

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I have met prince Michael of Kent when he opened a new building for my company a few years back.

I've had the story of how me and Mrs Stringmaker met read out on national radio.

I've been on local radio and in the local paper.

I have met Ray twice, been photgraphed by him and shaken his hand on two separate occassions; my right hand is now officially a secondary relic :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I was on telly with Dick Strawbridge and his son James earlier this year. I Got Dick to refer to himself as my 'Pump Monkey' enough times that they couldn't edit them all out before airing :D Though they did get rid of James pointing out that (after I described the origins and traditions of my pot bellows) that he was pumping hard on my cock and balls!

Also, whenever I go to River Cottage to demonstrate, Hugh (Fearnley-Whittingstall of course) has me sharpen his kitchen knives (including a few by me ;) ). On one occasion he left them at home and bunked off his morning book signing to drive back and fetch them!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My claim to fame been out on the sesh with Hywel Bennet, actor, and John Cooper Clarke poet, met the members of the incredible string band Rose lives not far from me and still remembers, Maggie Bell used to sing with my mum around Glasgow and lanarkshire area, my late elder brothers God father was jimmy johnstone played for glasgow celtic and my half brothers dad was jim ferguson who played for St Mirren I also met the Queen Mum at Shugborough Hall exchanged a few word put her onto a good dentist.

Night out with John Cooper Clarke? Now that would be one to remember, or atleast try to remember. Seen him perform a bunch of times and genuinely nice fello.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I cant think of anything worse than being recognised everywhere you go. Just give me the money and a quiet life.

Fame is the first disgrace! According to heathcote williams.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I've shook the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Joseph Stalin. Bit tenuous I know, but not too shabby for a Monday morning. :cool:

Impressive but I know who has done more for mankind :)

Let's not start a "Ray Mears versus Stalin" debate!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've shook the hand that shook the hand that shook the hand of Joseph Stalin. Bit tenuous I know, but not too shabby for a Monday morning. :cool:

Six degrees of seperation. Now thats an interesting concept. Through someone you know, then 5 other people, between you, you know everyone on the planet!

Every western european person, can trace Charlemagne in their ancestry. So were all descended from Royal blood.

If we all descend from one african woman, then every person on the planet is part of the same family.
Everyone is everyone else's in law.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Oh if we're going tenuous then I used to have a friend in America who, as a child, had his hair ruffled by Adolf Hitler who said he looked like a nice Teutonic boy. Hitler then presented him with a Youth knife which he still has.

More bad eggs, my father went to school with Lee Harvey Oswald.

Another one as well... one of my ancestors on my grandmothers side of the family, Augustine Garland, chaired the committee to decide how Charles I would be tried and then signed his death warrant after the trial. He got a mention by Samuel Pepys who described him as 'That damnable lawyer' in his diaries.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I discussed my job with Princess Anne.

Lovely lady - very good at feigning interest :), strangley reminded me of my grandmother??

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I was on telly with Dick Strawbridge and his son James earlier this year. I Got Dick to refer to himself as my 'Pump Monkey' enough times that they couldn't edit them all out before airing :D Though they did get rid of James pointing out that (after I described the origins and traditions of my pot bellows) that he was pumping hard on my cock and balls!

Also, whenever I go to River Cottage to demonstrate, Hugh (Fearnley-Whittingstall of course) has me sharpen his kitchen knives (including a few by me ;) ). On one occasion he left them at home and bunked off his morning book signing to drive back and fetch them!

And then there's your work for the Queen.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I was served by a young woman in Heffer's Bookshop in Cambridge who managed to take my money whilst otherwise ignoring me to tell her colleague, "I served Hugh Laurie yesterday." When I finally got her attention, I told her, "You lucky girl. Hugh Laurie yesterday and me today!" and walked off.

I'd like to think she spent the rest of the day wondering which celebrity she'd failed to recognise.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
My brother once fixed the wheel on Andy Partridge's daughter's bike after his wife reversed over it and didn't want him to find out (Andy Partridge: Singer songwriter and founding member of Swindon band XTC)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I can't find the video clip on YouTube just yet but my grandfather did some work with David Attenborough in the early days of his nature career at the BBC and drove a hovercraft up the Amazon for him once. The bit of footage I can't find is about a 5 second clip of my granddad driving the hovercraft that was later reused in a bit of a 90's Jeremy Clarkson programme, it was either 'Extreme Machines' or 'Speed', I forget which. He also helped to start the Archers on Radio 4. He was quite the woodcarver too.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Three years in a row I've had a punter (I was serving beer at a music festival) come up to me and say "I recognise you. You're that nutter who cycles along the A64".

My dad has a horse race named after him.

My wife goes to a gym run by Mr Universe 2013.

My wife's great Uncle was Ronny Hamlyn. First man to shoot down 5 enemy aircraft in the same day during the battle of britain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE