Any tips for sharpening scandi knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Try a search...

If the puukko has a secondary bevel on it then IMO it i slightly more complicated. what i did was grind off the secondary bevel with wet'n'dry paper. But you can of course do it with ordinary stones.

If it has a scandi grind then tis easy. Simply lay bevel flat on bench stone and push away. If you have Ray Mears essential bushcraft he does a good tutorial in that.

What kind of stones/equiptment do you have as i could go on for hours!!

:wink:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Rhapsody said:
I'm no expert on these things and don't want to screw up my new puukko... :?:

Lot's of hard work... at first :eek:):

I guess it depends if you want to get rid of the secondary bevel or not? I've spent the best part of a day getting rid of mine and I'm not sure if I've done the right thing :shock:
Still, It's my first Puukko, so I'm experimenting before I get an expensive knife to ruin !!

I'm hoping someone at the Ashdown Moot will be able to show me where I'm going wrong. :)

Cheers,

Martin

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But you'll have to bring along the stones, as im only bringing pocket stones and my st**kie ;)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Rhapsody said:
I'm no expert on these things and don't want to screw up my new puukko... :?:

If this has been answered before, I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot!

Just take your time and make sure your full bevel is in contact with the stone and you will be fine.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
colour the bevel with a felt tip marker. then you know your getting full contact. A fair number of scadies have the bevel hollow ground so it may well only remove metal from the edge and the other side of the bevel. So don't worry too much if you have bits of marker left in the middle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE