Any sparkies amongst us ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Probably stretching the definition of diy on this forum a bit , but i need to get my workshop wired up so i can start using my forge .
It needs to flouresant lights wired in and a single and a bank of sockets wired up . Is there anyone localish that could help me out ?
Yours rather cheekily
Pumbaa

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Depending on how far your workshop is from a power source, you could just use a decent extension cable. I'm thinking of the type used on caravan sites, with a built in circuit breaker (RCD). You can wire up a strip light to a conventional plug and just plug it in an extension socket, then have a four gang extension plugged in also.

I used the above method for a couple of years for my workshop and it worked just fine. I didn't have to worry about overloading although I had four power tools plugged in to the extension, but I only used them one at a time. The RCD would have tripped out anyway if I did overload them.

Just a thought (until you find a sparky).

Eric

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Wiring a shop can be as simple or as fancy as you want - and can afford. And a little thought on how you will use it can help decide on that wiring.

My personal shop is a pretty "temporary" affair - a couple sheets of tin for a roof with some plastic tarps covering the sides down to about 2 feet from the ground. For electric power I have two "circuits" fed by extension cords from plug-ins on breakers. These feed the lights, radio, forge, power hammer, and any power tools. Yes, I can only use a few selected things at any one time, but you learn and adapt. It's simple, crude, basic, but my shop works for me. Altho, all that natural ventilation does get a bit ... chilly ... during the winter.

In the end, it's not the shop and tools, but how you use them.

A note about flouresant lights. They produce great area lighting, and often with less glare. But they operate like a strobe light - flashing on and off, but at a very fast rate. Most people never even notice it. That "strobing" can be noticed and can affect some people - especially when doing things like hammering or chopping. Just something to keep in mind when lighting your shop.

Just some humble thoughts to share.

Mike Ameling

p.s. Yes, several of my friends are "horrified" at how I use drop cords to provide electricity in my "shop". But I trip the breakers less than once a year. My big "problem" is always having to unplug one tool to plug in the next I need to use. But my "shop" was wired for less than $100, instead of $1000+ to do it properly. Actually, I don't have much more than $100 in my whole shack/shop (lots of scrounged materials).

p.p.s. Check with you local zoning and building codes. Many of them do spell out the minimum standards for wiring buildings and shop areas. The local codes in my area do cover wiring in my house, but not in my "temporary" shop.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I think you're suppost to either bury shielded cables in the ground, or have them over head hight if you're running power to a shed / workshop or the like. Other than this I can't help I'm afraid.. but if you need a hand digging the cables let me know :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Mike Ameling said:
p.p.s. Check with you local zoning and building codes. Many of them do spell out the minimum standards for wiring buildings and shop areas. The local codes in my area do cover wiring in my house, but not in my "temporary" shop.

If I remember correctly, the regs were recently changed to require either sign-off by your local Building Control Officer, or self-certification by a certified "competent person" (ie a spark), for all but the most trivial of alterations. Definitely check unless you're getting in a pro.

gregorach said:
If I remember correctly, the regs were recently changed to require either sign-off by your local Building Control Officer, or self-certification by a certified "competent person" (ie a spark), for all but the most trivial of alterations. Definitely check unless you're getting in a pro.

A quick call to you local authority planning department would prolly resolve this.

If you do get a pro in ask if they selt-certificate their work. Looking for a NIC registered sparks would be my advice.

Cheers,

Phil.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you're doing it yourself, see if you can get cable in the old colour codes, then you can get by the certification by telling anyone it's been in for years. The certification is only necessary if you are selling your house anyway, so it's unlikely to be a problem especially if you use extension leads which you can unplug. That way it's only a temporary instalation.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE