Any spare kit available for Arctic trips?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Yello,

Well, it seems almost definite now that an expedition will go forward this year for a trip into the Arctic with myself and few others of this parish. This is my first trip of this nature, and obviously, the shopping list is becoming rather extensive. As such, I was just putting some feelers out there as to whether people have any cold weather gear, which includes tools, clothes etc, that they no longer use, or don't expect to use, and don't mind moving on to someone else for free, or a humble sum of dosh. This isn't a make-or-break post that'll decide my going on this trip, just a general request.

Cheers guys,

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yello,

Well, it seems almost definite now that an expedition will go forward this year for a trip into the Arctic with myself and few others of this parish. This is my first trip of this nature, and obviously, the shopping list is becoming rather extensive. As such, I was just putting some feelers out there as to whether people have any cold weather gear, which includes tools, clothes etc, that they no longer use, or don't expect to use, and don't mind moving on to someone else for free, or a humble sum of dosh. This isn't a make-or-break post that'll decide my going on this trip, just a general request.

Cheers guys,

What size are you mate in clothes and feet

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
9-10 in feet, and usually a medium to large in clothes (32 for my waist at smallest, and about 39 on my chest) I'm planning on larger sizes anyway to accomodate layers and the like

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
im much bigger than you clothes wise but ive got 2 sets of footware that might do you. Some Wiggys Pac Boots and some sorel carribou. To be honest i didnt get on with the wiggys and although very warm they are not really up to walking in for any distance. The sorels are a good warm boot with removable inners but they gave me blisters (see estonia trip report) as my ankle joint sat right on the join between the nubuck uppers and moulded lowers. Others rate them they just didnt work for me. anyhow i wore them for 1 week and thats it. Id love to give them away but they were expensive boots so id be looking for £40. Im driving back from the lakes on Sunday if you wanted to meet and try them on. Postage would be stupid and you really need to try them on and move around a bit.

all the above said you will need to consider what you actually need which will depend on where you are going in the arctic and likely temps plus whether you are moving about on snowshoes / toboggans or static camping. Below -20 id want something very different to the sorels even though they say they are rated to -40c. If static camping then the wiggys may be more suitable as they are insanely warm

one thing i will deffo recommend is some bivvy boots for round camp in the evenings. I used helsport ones from tamarak in Estonia and they were great down to -15. So nice to let your feet relax of an evening and dry your boots out. Ive just upgraded to some rab expedition booties for my Arctic trip in Feb as i melted my helsports on the tent stove :D

Most of the gear i took wasnt much different to what i use at home, The extras are really wool layers and a duvet jacket plus snow shoes or pulk/toboggan if on the move.

Anyway ive waffled enough. If any of that appeals drop me a pm

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
My advice Mat is to buy the sorel boots from bare and get a spare pair of wool felt liners I payd a lot of cash for mine and 40 is a very good price.After you get your boots then you can find the right snow shoes I used decathalon ones and thay worked very well with my carabours.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I spent 5 full winters in Norway and 6 weeks each year was spent over 400km North of the Arctic Circle.
What did I wear..? British Army issue gear ;)

On a normal working day in the field;
Thermal leggings & Long sleeved vest (later replaced with Helly Hansen Lifa thermals)
Issue OG Lightweight Trousers
Norwegian Army shirt
Army standard issue Wool Jumper (this was put in my daysack when skiing or snow-shoeing) (Also later replaced with a Norwegian Army Jumper...ace bit of kit)
Windproof Smock (wired hood version - excellent Jacket)
Two pairs of issue Arctic socks
Issue cold weather thinsulate lined boots or Issue Nordic ski boots with felt liners if skiing / snowshoeing
A pair of Meraklon inner contact gloves
Issue Fleece mittens Gortex Outer Mittens (I later replaced these with Dachstein Mittens)
Issue ECW hat (Deputy Dawg Style)
Plastic Rimmed Sun Glasses

Extra gear carried in main bergen (120Lt PLCE):
Lowe Alpine Goretex Mountain Cap
Thick Wool Balaclava (only worn when the wind got up or when Ski-Orring)
Issue Cold Weather 3-layer Goretex Jacket & Trousers (Only worn for digging snow-holes)
Seal Skinnz fleece lined Socks These replaced the Issue Goretex bootliners which I found very uncomfortable)
Spare Norwegian Army shirt
Four Spare pairs of issue Arctic socks
2 x 24 Arctic Ration Packs
Large FAK
Issue Machete
Coleman Peak Stove & Spare Fuel
Metal Mug & Racing Spoon
Snow Shovel

Patrol Pack 30-40Lt (this was carried under the top flap of the Bergen):
Helly Hansen Field Jacket (Thick Fleece)
Issue Windproof Over Trousers (Excellent)
1 ltr Alladdin Steel Flask (Hot Chocolate)
Issue '58 pat mug
1x 24hr Ration Pack
1 x Paralume Flare
Issue MOD Survival Knife
Issue Basha & 8 Bungees
30' of Paracord

Pockets of the Wind-proof Smock:
Ski-Goggles
Survival Kit
Small FAK
2 tallow long burn candles
Lighter & matches (the lighter was attached to some paracord & carried around my neck under my jumper)
Head torch with a halogen lamp
Whistle
Emergency High Carb Rations
SAK (Later replaced with a Leatherman)
Gortex Outer Mittens
Lightweight Nomex / Wool balaclava

Sleeping:
Issue Arctic Sleeping Bag (quite bulky - some lads replaced this with a snugpak bag, I believe it was the Osprey 12..?? don't quote me on that though)
Standard Issue Goretex Bivi-bag
Issue Cold Weather Roll Mat
Issue Thermal Booties (God send these were!!)

Spares: I managed to get my hands on a set of Mukluk Boots with Heavy Wool Inner Sock and and Felt insoles (only used around base camp area)

I hope this has been useful :)

Last edited:

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
I think I have some kit left in the loft from my last Norway exercise in 2012. I'll have a root around and see what I can dig out what do you need and I'm an xl, 38 waist will any of that stuff fit you if I can find it?

Also you can get Real Turmat meals online which are the civilian version of the issued rations I was using in Norway and really tasty (quite expensive, but worth it).

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Thanks forest! I'm slightly smaller than that, but it doesn't really matter as I'll be layering up anyway, so I can make things fit :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE