Any 'Glowers' out there?, too much sweat for a human being?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Well this is a pretty down to earth forum, so I feel like I'm able to air this with you folk without being too hung up about it, I sweat like a lathered horse and it makes no difference to my life on the whole, but when out hiking, cycling or holidaying in the sun, it can turn into a bit of a nightmare when dehydration is a factor.

let me get this straight I don't constantly create a pool on the floor, most days in average heat and with light activity I'm joe bloggs. but bump my temerature up a bit with some activity or the sun and my body completely over-reacts and just sheds water like I'm on fire.

I won't dwell on it but I can easily soak through a t-shirt, work shirt, suit jacket and onto my backpack while walking home.

While abroad in 30c temperatures and mid humidity I was constantly in danger of dehydration, I couldn't get the water in me quick enough. Not great for a honeymoon. Arms, legs, face the lot dripping with water.

I've just accepted that I burn hot. My blood levels are pretty much normal, thiaroid, hormones and all that jazz normal.

But it does present a challenge to me while I'm out as you can imagine. I have to pack extra water and pace myself differently to everyone else I know, which is just annoying. I wear thin cotton layers mostly to encourage air flow, I also remain very conscious of my body temperature, if I feel it coming up, I ease right off which isn't necessarily what you want to do sometimes to push yourself.

So my question to the community is; is there any advice out there with seasoned hikers and campers/all round activity folk?

I'm by far not the only half sponge man here, so there must be some other folk out there with advice, I'm really just looking for some outside the box thinking.

as a sidenote on the plus, I'm pretty good with the cold, I don't feel it so much. handy for the UK in 75% of the year. I'm also in my early thirties, and sitting on my perfect weight. I exercise mildly but certainly not unfit. I did traing for a half marathon, with it in mind that my body might simply not know how to react to overheating, but 1 year on and having completed the race. No change was noticed, I just shed about 2/3 of a stone in water weight over the 13 miles. which jumped right back again within a couple of weeks.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Sounds like you may have Hyperhydrosis, its actually quite common. You can get treatments from the pharmacist behind the counter that act like super powerful deodorant, Boots sell one called Anhydrol Forte (about£6), its a roll on night before treatment. Works really well and you may find that three times a week is all you'll need. I use it as I get nervous sweats at work when under stress sometimes. I find one small bottle lasts months. Another brand is Drisol which is the same sort of thing.

There are other more involved treatments, it may be worth speaking to your GP though.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Yep, I'm another one. I've mentioned it on here before but not specifically as a topic. Sounds like you might have it even worse than I do. Didn't know that it might be medical condition, with a name, and treatments. Not sure I want to go into all that, I'm just used to it. It's actually not all that bad a thing when I'm training but my kit does get pretty soggy. Even when I'm not training I have to change my shirts more often than most people. When I was younger I used to play chess and 'go' competitively. Just doing that my shirts used to get soaked and I didn't understand why.

I feel the same about the warm and cold weather. On a warm day, if I go for a bike ride in the Pyrenees with the wife I'll drink all my water and all her water, and I'll just be a complete ball of sweat, with all my clothes soaking wet, but at a thousand metres she's saying "isn't it a lovely day?" and looking like she's just finished reading a novel. I just have to take lots of water. On a cold day she'll sometimes need help to stay warm, especially her hands and feet, but the cold doesn't really bother me at all. I can live with it.

As for blood things, well my haemoglobin has always been on the low side. When I first had blood tests (because I started work at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment) the medics all went off the deep end because low blood count is one symptom of radiation damage. Then they figured out that I hadn't got any radiation damage (because I'd only just started work there!) so they relaxed a bit and the chief medic said my next test was "normal". Which I took to mean "normal for you, that is on the low side". When I go to give blood it's about 60/40 whether they'll accept it or not. I tell them it's high octane. I take an iron supplement for a few weeks before I go and that boosts it just enough to get me past the finger-pricking stage. Everything else seems to be pretty much normal.

Last edited:

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
May sound counterintuitive, but have you tried sauna (the full sauna with cold bath afterwards etc). Maybe that helps to reset or train the pores?

I personally found that doing more sports and getting fitter, plus a more healthy diet (skip sweets and junk for a time, loads and loads of fruit and veg) combined makes a HUGE difference in the way my body reacts (including sweating).

I am not a doctor so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

Best of luck!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Excessive sweating can leach minerals from your body so if you do intend to do e.g. a week's trekking or hillwalking, you will probably need some supplements to keep your salt levels and such up. I would echo the comments above and have a word with your doctor. Even better would be to refer to a sports nutritionist, if there is one in your area.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Excessive sweating can leach minerals from your body so if you do intend to do e.g. a week's trekking or hillwalking, you will probably need some supplements to keep your salt levels and such up. ...

True enough. When I was doing serious cycling and competitive judo I used to get what they call "stoker's cramps" if I wasn't careful about it. Apparently the guys who stoked boilers in ships used to get it because it was hot down there and they used to sweat like we hypersweatwotsits do. Easy enough for me to take on the extra salts, but tough on normal people if I'm cooking for them because what tastes normal to me tastes disgustingly salty to them.

N.E. Damo

Aug 20, 2011
Aberdeen, NE Scotland
I used to have the same problem, but it would happen with no activity at all and could sometimes be brought on simply with emotional stress. One of the main causes of sweating, was worrying about sweating!

Once all other problems / potential causes such as thyroid function, diabetes, allergic reactions etc, etc had been addressed my GP gave me a lifeline. I was told about botox injections. Not the "I cant smile anymore" botox, but type2 botox which was in its testing stage about 8-10 years ago when I was part of a pilot study. It essentially paralyses the sweat ducts making it (almost) impossible for them to work. It can have an immediate effect but longevity varies greatly person to person.

That was about 8-10 years ago and I no longer sweat at nothing but do perspire nicely when training in karate! As such I would say i am now at a "normal" level. It did take about 3 rounds of injections directly into my pits though so its not all sunshine and rainbows.... but well worth it from my experience.

This can lead to the opposite problem of overheating in the 1st few weeks following treatment, until your body learns to adjust. As I say though, it was a life changer for me.

Good luck,

Damo.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
True enough. When I was doing serious cycling and competitive judo I used to get what they call "stoker's cramps" if I wasn't careful about it. Apparently the guys who stoked boilers in ships used to get it because it was hot down there and they used to sweat like we hypersweatwotsits do. Easy enough for me to take on the extra salts, but tough on normal people if I'm cooking for them because what tastes normal to me tastes disgustingly salty to them.

The easy way to replace the sodium is just add a couple (or more if necessary) of sports drinks to your fluid intake. Gatorade or whatever brand suits your fancy. That won't effect the intake of others dining with you.

Check with you Dr. 1st though. If tests show your electrolytes at normal levels it might not be necessary.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Another sweater here. I am a little overweight now and that makes a difference from when I was trimmer. I find if I wear a dark shirt and in it all day after a good sweat, I have a white 'tide' mark of I suppose salt or minerals when I dry off?

I normally drink about 2-3 litres a day including tea and coffee etc... and put up with the leaking. Normal deodorant keeps me from honking but if it didn't I would do something else about it.

Steve.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Interesting to read all the above - I suffer from hyperhydrosis, and sweat freely during the summer, but also the winter as soon as I start warming up. My problem is that my hands sweat. A lot. It's something I've had all my life and if I'm honest, it's had a big effect on my confidence - I don't like shaking hands with people and shy away from physical contact with anyone I don't know really well.

The doctors offered me treatment involving immersing my hands in a water bath with a small electrical current running through it (quite painful after a while).

I gave it up as a. it didn't work, and b. It would have been an ongoing, time consuming and painful process. I was also offered an invasive operation which involved nerve endings with a fifty fifty chance of success, and a small chance of loss of feelings etc so I didn't opt for that.

Anyone else have the same problem? Not sure what to suggest to the OP.

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
There are some really great responses here, and yes I figured hyperhydrosis is pretty much where I'm at. and unfortunate that its general too, all over. Awesome.

Ususally General hyperhydrosis suggests an underlying medical condition which is why I figured a couple of rounds of blood test should be in order.

In the end I did quite a bit of internet research and read about the use of slow release oxybutrin (spelled correctly i think) which is for poor bladder control (not for in my case), which has a side effect of restrricting perspiration. Which certainly had a noticable effect, unfortunately the other side effects of cotton mouth and lethargy were too much, so I stopped since this wasn't the solution i was looking for, I can't believe this is a medication for kids, this would have ruined me if I was taking this in school.

I can empathise fully with everyone who gets effected by this, its pretty nasty on a base level, and I'm just pleased that I have managed to not let it effect me (or my dignity I suppose) too much in life.

I do however have a little new light to the situation, there seems to be a gravitation towards aa new type of medication for hyperhydrosis called Glycopyrrolate. Which will not pass the blood brain barrier, which will cause all of the unpleasent side effects like being groggy but is proving to be a very effective solution.

The wikipedia page for Glycopyrrolate sounds positive, I'm going to speak to my doctor again about this in a couple of weeks when I talk to him about my blood results.

Anyway, I'm off camping in the Peak District this long weekend, and the temperatures look to be about 15'ish so I don't think this is going to be an issue.

Good Advice for the sauna, it sounds strange but I've started to link sweating so much as clensing when I'm exercising. I was lucky enought to stay with a good friend in deep Finland, who had a traditional sauna cabin set up. Switching from 40+ temperatures to -10 was amazing, seriously it felt spectacular. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and pay for a Gym membership, make use of the facilities and bunk up my stamina somewhat and see where that leaves me. I'll just make sure I bring a gallon with me for each session.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Sorry to hear that.

Was wondering if you had tried any synthetic base layers for the heat issue? I've got a long sleeved nylon/lycra rashy vest that's the wierdest thing. When I'm wearing it in heat it actually feels cool to the touch, an odd sensation but not unpleasant and it does appear to cut down how much I sweat.

I don't wear it often, tend to treat it like a poor mans wetsuit and pop it on if I know I'll be getting wet.
It charges me up a little as well, I get static shocks more often.
...and it gets real smelly compared to wool or cotton....

....but it jumped to mind while reading your post so I just thought I'd mention it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE