Any electronics nuts out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
I'm really not sure if this will work, but nothing ventured...

I am (or was) a very serious electronics hobbyist. As such, I've built up a truly ridiculous amount of components, chiefly assorted semiconductors. I mean many thousands of pounds worth, and then some!

These days, my older interests in other things, like the outdoors, preparedness, survivalism, collecting knives and kit, etc. are taking over again.

Due to circumstances though, I can't spend any more money on stuff unless I make some, or swap. So I've finally decided to let go of my electronics stock. It was a hard decision!

So... are there any other electronics nuts out there who fancy swapping kit for components? I've got tons of the following sorts of things, all unused:

• Microchip PIC's and other devices, mostly larger/higher spec 16F,18F, dsPIC
  • Other MCU's from Texas Instruments, Atmel, Dallas etc
  • USB, ethernet capable devices and support ic's
  • Memory, interface support, real-time clocks, serial/parallel port expanders etc
  • Precision DAC's, ADC's, V/F and F/V converters, data acquisition chips etc
  • CPLD's and programmable logic
  • High power and high current op-amps (like 10A 30V devices!)
  • Precision instrumentation op-amps, isolators, programmable gain amps etc
  • Audiophile grade power transistors (premium parts used in and suitable for many audiophile designs)
  • SCR's, Triacs, IGBT's, MOSFET's, power diodes etc
  • Audio IC's, codecs, transceivers, line drivers etc
  • Power supply modules, DC-DC converters, voltage and current regulators

The sort of things I'm interested in are anything that fits the interests I listed really. Only stuff in decent nick - I prefer to wreck it myself :eek: A few specifics that come to mind:

Camera (mine's just died)
Maxpedition kit, or similar, in Foliage Green
Kifaru side pockets in FG (I wish!)
Knives
Wood stoves
Titanium cookware etc
...the list goes on and on...

Best way for anyone who might be interested is probably to have a chat with me about your specific interests and see what I've got to suit. Another possibly good way is for me to make up 'lucky dip' bags with a good selection in. Like the 'selection boxes' that the old electronics breakers used to sell, but far better.

Anyone interested???

Cheers,
Rick.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i really wish i was into electronics now 'cos that's some seriously sexy sounding kit :borgsmile. i have no idea what a MOSFET or a precision DAC is but i do like the sound of them!

good luck with your trade rick

stuart

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Lol - cheers for that Stuart!

Hey, let's have a picture, then you can see just how sexy this kit really is!

IMG_5071a.jpg

The five bright silver things stuck in pink foam are MOSFET's!

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You wouldn't happen to have a 20-240V ac to 12V/13.8V DC power supply, with around 15A or more rating? Preferably adjustable voltage but as it's for amateur radio kit that would normally be installed in a car, 12/13.8V is good.

Nothing ventured...

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Actually I do have a big open-frame one I got recently (although it's input only goes down to 110V not 20V) but I use it for charging batteries so I need to keep it.

Sorry!

Whenever I needed current like that at 12V, before I got my big variable one, I would just use a PC power supply. The little small-form-factor PC supply on my electronics bench does 12V at 16A, allegedly. If I really wanted to pull that sort of current for more than a minute though I would use a full size one. High-end PC graphics cards easily pull that sort of current from the PSU when playing the latest games.

PC PSU's are quite handy!

You just need to bridge a couple of links on the output plug to power up an ATX supply. If you want to know which ask - I'll take a look. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Good post Rick.

I'm a radio amateur, and there's probably about a dozen others on the site. I do 'roll my own' gear to some extent, but it's mostly kits I build. Like a lot of hams, I'm confident with soldering through hole components but have no experience with surface mount.

There's been a fair bit in the ham press at building and programming PIC based equipment but it's not something I know much about.

You have to watch switch mode PSUs with hf receivers- some generate a fair bit of RF hash.

Don't know if you've got anything that might be of interest to the radio ham? incidentally if you've not got your ham ticket you should maybe consider it - you would likely find the exam a doddle, and it's a hobby you can combine with the outdoors. Good for preparedness too - I can send email via hf radio if my internet is down. There's a worldwide network of transceiver-linked servers that let you do this.

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Hi Doc,

Yes, I should have thought of the switching noise issue. I've never really got involved in RF work, but I've seen plenty of circuits confused by HF interference from a poor switching PSU. I did a lot of CPLD design at 50-100MHz and they seem particularly prone to getting upset at more than just a few mV of HF ripple.

I actually passed my exams many years ago but never got around to applying for my ticket. I was interested in ATV/SSTV at the time but I couldn't afford anything in the way of equipment (I could barely afford a cheap soldering iron in those days). By the time I could, my interests had moved to designing computer-type stuff and instrumentation.

I've thought of it recently from a preparedness viewpoint... have to see how the fund-raising goes...

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Well, the exam pass is valid for life. And there is no renewal fee for the licence nowadays, and morse is no longer needed for the higher classes of licence.

Digital modes are pretty big now - it's so easy with a PC and soundcard. SSTV is still used, as is RTTY, but PSK31 is popular for chat. Winlink 2000 lets you send email over hf. There are also internet gateways so you can work worldwide from a handheld via your local vhf repeater. There is also plenty of scope for satellite working.

Best of all, the gear is cheaper than it used to be. The first VHF/UHF handhelds were £400 - no doubt over a grand in todays money. Now you can get a rather good one for £70. Also there are 'shack in a box' transceivers covering DC to light (well, slight exaggeration - 160m to 70cm, anyway.) About £250-300 used.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi Pete,

I'll get that MFJ up soon! Brackets, etc, on order.

Did you get yourself a nice little Wouxun then?

Foxyrick - I passed my exam over 10 years ago and only just took up my ticket. It'll cost you £20 and that's it!

Mike

FoxyRick

Forager
Feb 11, 2007
Rossendale, England
Hey, I want one of those DC to Light transceivers!

If I manage to sell enough of this stuff on ebay, I might just have to invest.

Oh, now see what you've both done to me - I'm supposed to be downsizing!

Edit:

I've just remembered something - while I was prepping for the exams, I actually bought a Yaesu FT209RH 2m handheld with my birthday money, with a nice extended frequency range. For monitoring only of course before I got my license. It got nicked from the car a few months later; the only time I accidentally left it in the glove box. I'd forgotten all about that!

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
VP8CMS - that's dx!!!

Get back on air guys!

MikeyP- I was impressed by your Wouxun and the inevitable happened - I bought one. Very nice radio for not much money.

Rick,suspect ebay is your best bet. Might also be worth dropping a PM to gregorach (Duncan) just to let him know of this thread - I know he is very IT/hifi/electronics literate and used to build his own gear, though not sure if he still does.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE