Answers on a post card please.........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Morning all.

Just thought we would start a new thread and hopefully a new section ( better speak to the boss first!).

I have always wanted to be a 'quiz master' so here's my chance!

Each week I will post a question and you will have to answer it. Hopefully we will all learn something here and hopefully it will make you see things that you haven't seen before or things that we take for granted.

The new section/thread is going to be called..........wait for it.............'Answers on a post card please'. Took me ages to think of that one!! :shock:

So here is the first question:

As a rule, which plant, is the first to leaf in the woodlands?

Best wishes.

Jack.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Great idea Jack!

Just a guess based on looking around, but sycamore's seem to be in leaf pretty early, followed quickly by beech.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ummm I think you are right when you say sycamore is the first tree in leaf, but remember Jack said 'Plant'. By the time trees come into leaf, many wild spring plants and flowers (those on the woodland floor) are already out as they loose light when the trees come into leaf. I personaly think its something like the fern.... they burst into life at the first signs of spring.... but do they leaf? they just sort of unfold.

:)
Ed

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Well i think it could be anyone of these:Chickweed
Snow Drop
Lesser Celandine
Winter Aconite

Any way when do you put us out of our misery Jack?

Or do you prefer to make us squirm :twisted: CHEERS STUART F.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
elder
old mans beard
sycamore
Heard on the news that Horse Chestnut is now in leaf ,on average,12 days earlier than it was 30 years ago.Global warming.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Lesser Celandine
Hog Weed
Cleavers (sticky weed as the kids call it)
Primrose
Nettles
Crosswort
Lords and Ladies
Elder
Chickweed
Snowdrops

I've seen these out in the local wood, but I'm not sure which you would class as the first becausee some can be seen year round.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Jack surely that is a little subjective to area - i.e in the south east most breeds are likely to go to bud or leaf much earlier than in the north.

Unless its a trick question.

Personally one of the earliest I have seen this year is hedge garlic some of which is already in flower.

But then the weather has been a little odd this year too.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Gary said:
Jack surely that is a little subjective to area - i.e in the south east most breeds are likely to go to bud or leaf much earlier than in the north.

Unless its a trick question.

Personally one of the earliest I have seen this year is hedge garlic some of which is already in flower.

But then the weather has been a little odd this year too.

Good point Gary, but you have to remember that I am new to this quiz master role and I would bet that Nicholas Parson made the odd mistakes early on in his carer!! :oops:

So let me recap, as I have made so many mistakes early on in my new carer.......... so you will have to forgive me! :oops:

Every one is absolutely right........for this time of year but what I forgot to say was, that I meant, what was the first plant in leaf in Jan/Feb time.........sorry about that!! :oops:

It/they have been mention already......... :wink:

I will give you the answer on Saturday. :lol:

Best wishes.

Jack.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Is this one of those trick questions which makes sure no one will win the billhook :twisted:

Is it something really wierd like the Lesser Spotted Snow Queen plant or some unknown fungi :rolmao:

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE