An entirely new knife.............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dinks gone - about half to one milimetre was all.

Not to self, don't split knotty 4" logs with this knife (bit of batoning had to be tried though huh)

Had to put her over the diamond stones to remove it so its back on the waterstones for a good polish tomorrow.

These things happen though and I had to push her hard (and beat her with a stick) to get to know her :)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats better - not going to do that again!

542477482_2a000fb6bc.jpg

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Very nice Red. Glad the knife and you are back in a good state.

I'm not going to order a knife from Stu for now. I lost my job in july and can't afford it right now. If I want to go to Scotland in the fall, so I can only afford a blade. It's still the same design though, and I think it will improve my knifemaking skills.
I'll take a trip over a knife any day.

Keep those pics coming Red.

Michiel

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ok I did a plug.....Hmmm I hit the beer too, I was supposed to go to an agm tonight, but I didn't fancy sitting in a warm room talking stiuff, so I went upo the shed and did some carving with my f1......
First I dug a hole....
DSC03615Small.jpg

I did a square to start, then rounded...
DSC03616Small.jpg

Then I cut me a tube from a tree, this was easier than ezpected, I found my, errrrrr, yellow flowered tree??? had hollow stems anyway, so I just cut a bit off, and I pushed it in the hole....
DSC03617Small.jpg

DSC03619Small.jpg

I made sure it went in tight...
#
DSC03620Small.jpg

Ok, so their is my pipe.....Now I need to fill the hole, so I get some pine and start to whittle.....
DSC03622Small.jpg

I then jam in it to the hole to seal.....
DSC03623Small.jpg

I was gonna cut some elder, then split it lentgthways and hollow it out with the knife tip, but found this errrrrr, yellow flowered tree already had a hole in it....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very neat Jon.

I venture to suggest I can bore a tighter hole with the spear point, but I like the use of the square plug - very neat.

I'm intrigued by your yellow flowered tree. Were they pea shaped flowers like this?

477207612_cef41b3247.jpg

You really do very well with that knife

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad about that - all of them are dead nasty. Hornbeam, sweet chestnut or tulip tree spring to mind.

Love the helve on your Cegga by the way!

I will do one in return - I did this one in time for this years Birch tap

I have always used a pretty simple tree tapping technique

gatheringJar.jpg

Anyway, I was lucky enough to see how the professionals do it here

sapdrip.jpg

(Picture courtesy of John - a man who makes fantastic Maple Syrup!)

So I thought I could improve my normal improvised design

Here is the prototype

Step 1 locate a suitable (dead) elder or another similar tree with a soft pith

460365521_d53949f7d3.jpg

You can see the suitability for improvising tree taps and other pipes from the end of this dead branch

460365541_7a157cfd07.jpg

So out with Red's ever present pocket saw. I 'm looking for a branch a little thicker than a fingers width it needs to wind up about 1/2" thick when the bark is off

460365563_4db5edde0c.jpg

I don t need a lot\- the finished tap will be 4" long or so I cut enough for a couple of failures

460365567_bca889fa75.jpg

So we cut a suitable section of wood I try to cut between side shoots, finding a nice straight piece. You can see the soft inner pith of the elder in this shot

460365579_d30452d386.jpg

Next job is to taper one end to about 3/8" or 10mm in new money

460365581_43dfbe242a.jpg

Next I peel all the bark off and shave back to a neat(ish) cylinder

460396027_e5f0edf2b2.jpg

I make a saw stop cut halfway through the tap into the middle of the pith. The cut is 1/3 of the way along the tap from the blunt end.

460396037_00cd6170cc.jpg

Elder splits really easily, so using the blade of my pocket knife, I rest the blade across the middle of the tapered end and push a split will run to the stop cut

460409903_a8f3fe5672.jpg

I shape a slightly deeper groove into the stop cut to hang my collecting vessel from

460409891_0272bf58e1.jpg

Next I use my knife tip to remove the pith from the centre channel

460396039_69dcbed587.jpg

I Use a twig or bit of wire to push the pith from the remaining solid section

460396045_b7221c2c97.jpg

Finally, I improvise a collecting device. This is an old detergent box (handy since it has a lid to keep flies and so on out). A baked bean tin with a hole in would work though as would your billy can

460396055_4d57277456.jpg

Lastly of course, bore a hole in your tree of choice with knife tip or “brace and bit if you want to get really fancy knock in the tap, hang the collecting device from it. Job done

I think I could do the whole job with the PFK - I suspect it won't tap a tree any better than yours though! I promise to do a PFK recreation later!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well your new knife is narrower at the end, so will bore a better hole, but I think I proved, the F1 will bore......Hmmm, bore the pants off maybe...Lol....
BTW...You used a saw and a twig, or a bit of wire i n that, thought we were meant to be just using our knives..?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, you did it spot on - I would like to try it with knife only although I confess you have beaten me to it and I doubt I can improve on what you have done!

I am deeply impressed with your use of that knife Jon I must confess. In my hands it was just lumpy and crude - but you do manage to accomplish both delicate and precise functions with it.

I guess it goes to show there is no right answer to tools - that tool certainly works with your skill - just not with mine :eek:

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Yep, you did it spot on - I would like to try it with knife only although I confess you have beaten me to it and I doubt I can improve on what you have done!

I am deeply impressed with your use of that knife Jon I must confess. In my hands it was just lumpy and crude - but you do manage to accomplish both delicate and precise functions with it.

I guess it goes to show there is no right answer to tools - that tool certainly works with your skill - just not with mine :eek:

Red
Thats kind of you to say so...I love the tool, though a bit thinner would suit me better....I do have to confess though, since we said we would have a challenge, I have spend a lot of time up the shed sharpening the F1 and it is now very very sharp, so that has been in my favour.....I am still going to try a self portrait in wood, but may take some time....Need to do my pot hanger first....

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Any new tests Red or Jon? I'm just beginning to get to know my bushcraft knife I made and it's going fine so far. I even made feathersticks which I can light with a spark. Now I've got my kydex sheath for it, it's going to see a lot of work :D
I'll post some pics of my feathersticks sometime soon.

Michiel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah been taking pictures - there will be lots of those later (either in the main section or my blog!)

Red

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Sorry to post here after so long a gap but I had to after only just finding the thread!

I have never in all my life seen a more beautiful knife no matter which part of it you talk about.

That Purdey is merely the shotgun of the British Red / Stuart Mitchell Precison Field Knife World.

So elegant, so fine, so uttery beautiful yet original- I simply cannot imagine seeing one better.

Yours Absolutely Dumbfounded,
Graeme

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:D

Thank you. Its considerably more "worn in" now and carries it share of scratches and sharpening marks. Still a lovely knife to own and use though.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE