Ammo Can Wood Burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum but thought I'd share the wood burning stove I made in the week.

The idea was to make a stove for warmth during impromptu whiskey tastings on canoe trips rather than cooking or for in tent use. I wanted it to all fit into itself for easy loading in a boat too. Finally, as I have a history of diy disaster it needed to be fairly simple.

The pics are probably fairly self explanatory. Four legs made out of m12 hex bolts, a chimney of vacuum cleaner pipe, and a platform for the fire of electrical socket boxes.

Seems to work well and kicked out a good level of heat. Forgot to remove plastic insert from chimney! Have a few mods to make-jubilee clips to extend/stabilise chimney, and stove rope to seal the lid and chimney to improve efficiency. A BBQ conversion may appear come summer!

Any advice/suggestions welcome!

Thanks

586d67d9-ab05-4c84.jpg

586d67d9-ab38-5b85.jpg

586d67d9-ab5a-3ed6.jpg

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Welcome to the AT-AT Club! and BCUK.
That should beat the baltic weather outside alright. If its just for warmth I wouldn't alter it much, except maybe put a frame around the door to restrict air to keep the fire in longer when un-attended for an hour or two.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice one Shortyman, it ought to keep you nice and cosy as you sip your whiskies :)

The only thing you might have considered was to have made the box the other way up so you have the bottom as a flat surface to cook on if you so desired

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Good stuff shortyman! I took my inspiration from Addo's stove and, like Mesquite said, the bottom of the ammo box makes a good substrate for cooking.

I bet you can't wait to use it in anger!

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hi shortyman . like what youve done there, have you thought of exhaust pipe for your chimney ?

nenook

shortyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 18, 2010
Lancashire
Thanks all .
Like the idea of inverting the can and the exhaust pipe (didn't have any readily available). Will just have to build mark ii!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE