Alternatives to this tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I'm thinking of getting this tent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Tempe...HSH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296913263&sr=8-1

I've had a look at one pitched at Go outdoors and it looks to be just what I'm after - porch, outer pitch first, plenty of space, bomb-proof.
It gets great write ups, and it only misses out on a few points - I'd have liked a freestander, and it's a little heavy (would have preferred around 2kg, though I read somewhere that with a bit of jigging - changing some stuff - that it's possible to get it closer to 2kg). It's about as close to what I want in my price range (it says £110 on Amazon, but they do them for £89 at other outlets).
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any others which are max of 2.5 kg, green (wild camping), porch, 2 person (though it's only for me, but want/need the space) etc that are as good or better.

Thanks

Phil

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
From what I can see, there isn't much that competes with your choice at that price point. It looks like a solid choice for your budget to me.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The problem with this style of tent (and so many seem to be styled on this kind of design) is that you have no protective cover to cook under when you have vertical rain. I've tried a few now and I have to say they are a cost compromise. In adition, if you do use it for 2, there's very little room to keep the gear out of the weather.

My favourate tent, when not using the tarp, is the Saunders Spacepacker http://www.robertsaunders.co.uk/pages/spacepacker.html#plusmk1 because you have loads of pitching options, kit storage under cover for both of you, stands up to a real storm, both occupants have their own door (no climbing over each other to get out in the wee hours), pitches fly first and is only around 2Kg. BUT over your budget :(

Personally, I'd use a tarp and save up for longer for a no-compromise tent. I know others will disagree but I speak from decades of trying different designs out.

Cheers,

Broch

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
The best alternative to a tent is a hammock. Seriously. A DD plus tarp would fit your budget. Once you've tried a hammock you'll avoid ground dwelling whenever possible :D

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Thanks for that, guys. Will read links now. Cogola - I have been tempted by hamocking, but am due a trip to the highlands in May, where trees can be in short supply. Might get a cheap one, though, to try out and see what I think in the local woods.

All the best

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE