Alternatives to swannys

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Pendletons, dockers, other old random american wool makes all good and cheap, check the size and you wont go wrong.
Ive had several, and two swanndi ranger shirts. Cheap old jumper on top and all is well.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've just dug out my old size 19 army issue wool shirt and washed it as I've not used it in about 15 years. I wore it all the time for pottering around the woods as a student. Not as thick as a Swanni but they used to be dirt cheep.

ATB

Tom

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Pendleton's are great but not as thick as a swanni. Filson are the bolleaux but expensive. If you search for a mackinaw jacket you can sometimes find something affordable but not very often... That Canadian/American field shirt looks good, I might have to look into those. Those Tamarak shirts look nice too, but I wouldn't pay that for a cotton shirt, the only wool one they do isn't available in a large:(

Rowantk

Jun 11, 2010
uk
I have a 'We love wool' bush shirt. Havent used it in action yet but seems slightly better wool than the modern swannies. I do prefer my Swannie though as it has a hood :) So if any of you want it PM me ;)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have an alternative to swannies... M65 jacket and liner...

Thing is... wool is awesome when wet and you don't need to wash it as much etc... but if I spill a load of food down the front of my M65 I can take the outer, wash it using whatever I like (even boiling in a big billy) and dry it out pretty quickly. I have had swannies and woolen things and they have all in some way restricted me from doing things due to cost, weight, warmth or whatever. I always seem to come back to my battered but still perfect condition M65.

I also just wear cotton Tshirts... it's criminal! :p

keith2616

Dec 16, 2009
Scotland
Somebody must've mentioned this already but Endicotts have produced something very close to a Swannie Bush Shirt, they call it the Mastino. If they're still available, they're less than half the price of a Swannie Bush shirt and they look really well made. There are pics of the shirt & the manufacturing below:

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1931

I bought a Swannie bush shirt before I knew about these Mastinos. Unfortunately, due to long-term excess intake of pork pies, I needed a XXL bush shirt, which went down to my knees and made me look like a good candidate for Friar Tuck... I had it shortened and had an extra front pocket, elbow and shoulder patches made out of the spare material, so now I just look like a fat guy in a green smock http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif but I like the smock!

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Was in Tamarack yestrday and they are stocking a new version of the proper old Swannie Bush shirt, made in NZ and they look fantastic

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pendleton's are very good, Levi 'Docker' shirts are also very good, but the £3.99 padded 'Lumberjack' shirts you can pick up are as warm as any shirt I've tried in terms of warmth and comfort to be honest, as shown here worn by my baby boy

DSCF4407640x480.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE