Alpkit 'Hunka' bivi review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hmm 20cm extra in length and 18cm extra in width. For 20 quid more. Now I do like my Hunka, it does what it says on the tin, and unless I'm going to get a seriously large doss bag it will last me a while I think. The new Hunka, at 50 quid isn't so appealing. Yes it is still a very light bivi bag, made of the same material so will work. However if I want a bigger bag I'd be tempted to go else where and compromise on the weight a bit - I don't think the small increase in size can justify the price increase. If they had also added a zip access to it that would have helped too, as sometimes getting into your sleeping bag when it's in the Hunka isn't too easy.. lol

Thank you for this review. I am looking into bivvys, but I want one not only large enough to stow me and my kit or my wife and her kit but also our three year old as well if needs be. Thanks for the honest review, this one sounds well made enough but not really the one I'm personally looking for.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
As far as Army bags go, well I know there are a few different ones out there. Nato No 8465-99-769-7040 weighs around 790g and is Length at shoulder - 2.2m Width at shoulder - 890mm. There are others that differ in both size and weight ( generally being smaller - closer to the size of the original Hunka )

Mistwalker - Bivi bags would probably not be what you're looking for, if you want to or need to store you, your son and kit in one - I'm guessing you don't want your wife in there at the same time or a it really is a tent you'd need. Why not get your son his own bivi, or is it you want the room so he can snuggle up if he's cold or scared ( sorry no idea how old your lad is ). You may find that Bothy Bags ( Google em to see whats what) are more suited but they are generally used as emergency shelters.

erm, wouldn't that be a tent ?!

Lol I said one of us and our three year old...and small kit in emergency...lol, I have tents..looking for an in between for emergency use.

Mistwalker - Bivi bags would probably not be what you're looking for, if you want to or need to store you, your son and kit in one - I'm guessing you don't want your wife in there at the same time or a it really is a tent you'd need. Why not get your son his own bivi, or is it you want the room so he can snuggle up if he's cold or scared ( sorry no idea how old your lad is ). You may find that Bothy Bags ( Google em to see whats what) are more suited but they are generally used as emergency shelters.

Thanks for correcting me, you're right it is a bothy I'm looking for...sorry

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Lol I said one of us and our three year old...and small kit in emergency...lol, I have tents..looking for an in between for emergency use.

By my amazing powers of "lack o' observation" I now notice yer lad is three, just like you said earlier. Well if it's for emergency use, go for a Bothy Bag, thats what they're designed for. Various styles colours and what not. Could shelter a small family such as yourselves if te weather took a turn for the worse.

By my amazing powers of "lack o' observation" I now notice yer lad is three, just like you said earlier. Well if it's for emergency use, go for a Bothy Bag, thats what they're designed for. Various styles colours and what not. Could shelter a small family such as yourselves if te weather took a turn for the worse.

Thank you. That is exactly what I have in mind. We live in the mountainous area of S.E. Tennessee and it is a temperate rainforest. The weather has caught us unprepared before...not in the winter...yet, as the forcasters have difficulty in predicting the weather here. I like the idea of a bothy as it is quick, relatively light, and holds heat better than a tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE