Air Guns - new laws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Ed said:
Have no clue as to how to go about getting a gun licence though!
For a firearms cert, go to your local police station. They will need all your details, a good reason for you to possess the gun (ie a farmer, member of a gun club etc...) They will also want to come round an inspect your fire arms cabinet to make sure its up to legal standard.

On a side not, a friend of mine spent a few hundred pounds on having his cabinate installed, concreted into the floor, only for the police to come round and tell him it wasn't up to standard..... he's now spent 8 months going through the courts trying to get his money back!!!! ... and move his shotgun and rifle (as he didn't have a cert) to the local club. A pain in the a** for a farmer :-(

I don't envy you

:)
Ed

It's up to the County Police department on what is what as I welded my own cabinet from an old baler and it is still pass's.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Kath- you do NOT need a firearms certificate for a CP99. The police are incorrect. The new legislation only applies to weapons using a 'tandem' cartridge - ie compressed air and pellet forming a single unit- such as Brococks.

I shoot air pistol in competition (the Olympic 10 metre target discipline) and some competitors still use CO2 pistols akin to your CP99. The Scottish Pistol Association clarified the position in a recent newsletter. You don't need a FAC. The BASC website has details.

I did have an old saxby Palmer Ensign Elite air rifle that uses the tandem cartridge. (Saxby palmer went bust-largely because of lousy quality control- and Brocock bought them out.) I wondered about getting a firearms certificate, which would have been fairly straightforward as I already have a shotgun certificate and cabinet. However, it was never very reliable and I decided to hand it in for destruction. You can do this at any police station (ring first!) and sign a form abandoning all claim to it.

No compensation is payable, as you have the option of keeping it (if you apply for an FAC.)

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
well on a slightly different note, saw on teletext last night that a man from humberside has been given permision to have a .44 magnum revolver by some judge. hmm i thought that there was a total ban on handguns. apparently its because he's had a firearms cert for ages etc. and his reason for having it - he's a deer hunter or somthing and needs it for humane dispatch. a couple of thoughts, isn't a bolt gun any good for the dispatch of animals like deer? also isn't .44 mag a bit on the large side for this kind of thing(sledgehammer and nut come to mind), secondly why a revolver, if he is to have one why not a single shot weapon, unless he's that bed a shot that he needs more than one go quickly. apparently the "flood gates" are not going to be opened and no one else will be allowed one until.......
any one elses thoughts?

leon-1

Well what a farce that is, if the guy isn't a good enough shot with a rifle to despatch a deer with a single round, then why the hell is shooting deer in the first place.

What is more a rifle is far more accurate and powerfull than most handguns anyway, if he has a rifle what does he require the pistol for.

What's next the 0.5 M2 BMG (Browning Machine Gun) rabbit hunting society or battle field nukes for grouse hunting.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
leon-1 said:
Well what a farce that is, if the guy isn't a good enough shot with a rifle to despatch a deer with a single round, then why the hell is shooting deer in the first place.
Exactly! And all the worse BASC are claiming it as victory fot their campaigning. Bad enough the sheeple getting scared by all the stuff the nannystate puts out then somthing like that comes along.
And Kath, every source I've found confirms you, like me DO NOT need a FAC for our little CO2 pistols.
Cheers
David

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
MartiniDave said:
Shaun,

I know what you mean, I was a pistol shooter before the ban in '97. Broke my heart handing in my guns & kit.

Dave

Amen!!

Kath,the sparklet syphon bulb does not count as a cartridge.
It is only the type where you load the pellet into a pre charged device which looks and loads into the chamber like a live round .

Just buy one of the million or so illegal firearms that are about,no one seems to be bothering to stop them being carried!!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
dtalbot said:
Exactly! And all the worse BASC are claiming it as victory fot their campaigning. Bad enough the sheeple getting scared by all the stuff the nannystate puts out then somthing like that comes along.
Cheers
David

Hey Guys,don't knock it :!:

Every exeption and exemption allowed shows how :evil: stupid the original ban was :roll:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Thanks everyone. I'm happy now that I don't need a licence. The police suggested I take my gun into the local police station to discuss the issue with them, but I'm not comfortable going into town with a gun (and a replica to boot!) in my handbag. :shock: So I think I'll leave it to someone else to set the PTB straight on this one.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
100% confirm what doc and dtalbot have set out - we're talking about the brocock air cartridge pistols here - not the walther cp99 sparklets powered pistols. The issue is all because their "cartridges" can be altered to carry a real .22 calibre pistol round and sometimes manage to fire them before they break under the excess pressure.

If you do have a Brocock type, you MUST get it licenced or hand it in. IIRC there's a mandatory jail sentence if convicted for holding one without a licence after April - upto a max of five years. Also, you can't now legally give them away or sell them, or buy them, or throw them away - the deadline for that has already passed. There will not be any compensation for these.

On the other hand, the police cannot refuse you the license - unlike genuine firearms, you don't have to justify yourself at all.

Cheers

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Wouldnt you get away with just keeping them? Im sure it would be fine.
if they could get away with it they would have a law against pointy sticks!

And fresh fruit :wink:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Well it's May now and past the deadline and the boys in blue haven't come around to cart me and my gun away ... so hopefully this means they've now got their facts straight. :biggthump

Thanks for your help, all! :wink:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Kath,

If they take you away we'll send you a cake with a file in it, and a knife, a firesteel, a tarp ... You get the idea.
:-D :-D

Dave

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
MartiniDave said:
Kath,

If they take you away we'll send you a cake with a file in it, and a knife, a firesteel, a tarp ... You get the idea.
:-D :-D

Dave
Cheers Mate!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE