Ahoy To Ye Pirates!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Should Pirate flags be washed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

There comes a time when a man must spit on his hands and hoist the black flag...​

But should it be ever washed? That is the question!

Should it continue to retain the aromatic fug of a hundred dodgy bedsits and glow like a Jackson Pollock during a Police search
Or be thoroughly cleansed before being raised again in anger aboard a new ship?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I don't know. I've never worked on a Pirate ship.

I worked on a Smuggling vessel, the Peggy, of Castletown, IOM.

hhmm... i can't particularly remember seeing any washing machines in any pirate movie i've watched (which might be a typical hollywood error) nor do i recall the famous Sir Henry Morgan looking for one on his unsuccessful raid at Cartago in 1666 (which happened nearby) or his more famous visit to panama city a few years later... .i shall ask CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow next time i'll meet him and report back :biggrin:

just make sure to put on your red shirt and brown pants when spotting the next pirate vessel :p

• Haha
Reactions: Kadushu

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Could explain the persistent hunt for pieces of eight...? Maybe those were the only coins the laundromats would take... I know the last time I used one they were fussy about the 20p's..

Reactions: Kadushu

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I believe William Dampier describes the buccaneers as wearing shirts soaked in bulls blood, (cant recall, long time since I read his writings)

I believe William Dampier describes the buccaneers as wearing shirts soaked in bulls blood, (cant recall, long time since I read his writings)
that might come from the fact that buccaneers were originally hunters (on hispaniola ) who took up piracy as a more lucrative form of income -- their shirts might have been stained with blood from the cattle and pigs they hunted...

Could explain the persistent hunt for pieces of eight...? Maybe those were the only coins the laundromats would take... I know the last time I used one they were fussy about the 20p's..
maybe they weren't good at mathematics and just used their fingers to count... but that would mean only four pieces for pirates with a hook instead of a hand:eek:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It doesn't matter if it becomes totally black from the powder steam or red from all the blood. Illegally it keeps its value.

One can even dye a Spanish flag like that.

We even didn't wash the flag when there was plenty of time to do so in Tortuga.
You simply have more important needs like drinking and singing and so on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE