Advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I am going to do this:

http://www.bunac.org/volunteer/usa/Default.aspx

The advice I have been given is pack for the cold and wet as well as the heat, we could go up to altitude so all bases must be covered with overlap where possible. I'm tending to lean towards packing for the heat, and will layer up in the cold. The rain could fall any where, though you're going to dry off pretty sharpish in the desert.

Things I've covered are:
- Most of my clothing, I think I'm going to buy another couple of pairs of trousers.
- Pack
- Boots
- Sleeping bag/bivvy/liner
- tent is provided but I might take the GoLite anyway (thoughts?)

Things I'm undecided about:

Wet weather gear. My thinking at the moment is a poncho and waterproof trousers. Cold weather gear, bottom half I'm not worried about, top half I'm thinking keep it simple and layer up with a fleece or something as a top layer. I don't think it's worth taking a 'winter' jacket because I'll have a waterproof layer anyway. Thoughts?

The other thing is how to organise my kit in the pack. I'm thinking a couple of dry bags, one for sleeping kit and one for everything else. That should mean I can access the sleeping kit but keep everything else relatively organised. Thoughts?

So, what have I missed? Advice on anything please.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
When exactly are you going gregs656?

One thing to consider are means to keep your hide intact. Flagstaff is 7,000 feet above sea level; that much less atmosphere to block solar radiation. Also less O2, so hiking with a load and swinging a mattox for ten hours a day could feel kind of tough at first. Toughen up your hands and feet beforehand if possible. Some model of hands-free hydration system. Little tweezers, big tweezers, small pliers, needles, and a hand lens for dealing with the various barbed prickly things. I assume you'll have work gloves...I could go on but need to get busy here. More info to follow if you are interested.
This is a pretty good site for a browse,
http://www.desertusa.com/

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
When exactly are you going gregs656?

May 15th - be with them for 10 weeks. Projects can be anything within approx 400miles of Flagstaff. I did forget to put first aid kit down, but I do have one.

My pack has a pocket for a water bladder, but I don't actually have one, unsure if I'm going to bother, I've never had a problem with bottles.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I prefer bottles myself, but....if I'm going to be out in the Arizona sun all day swinging a mattox and doing trail work, I'd like a 2liter on my back, I know for absolute certain I will hydrate better and feel stronger throughout the day. Drinking gobs of water will also help you acclimate.

No need to buy something you are unsure of before you go. After the first 4 days you'll have a much, much better idea of what you need. Flagstaff has plenty of shops and friendly people.:)

If it's any kind of option, hit the high country during the latter part of your stay, probably won't see conditions any worse than what you may be used to...except for the elevation thing. Temps vary greatly over the course of a day, shorts and tee's by day and then start layering up as the sun goes down. I live in an almost identical location climate-wise as Flag. Yesterday morning was warm and sunny, followed by rain as the sun went down, then snow-like falling slush for a couple of hours. Day before was 20-30mph sustained winds all day, gusting to 45mph.

4 on 3 off is not bad, should have plenty of time to look around. Sounds pretty cool...you excited?

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
No it's not bad at all. I'll have approx 3 weeks after the project ends to do what ever the hell I want to do as well. I am excited.

It would seem I'm going a long the right lines kit wise. I'm trying to buy things before I go, where prices are comparable, for the simple reason of budgeting. There are still a couple of items I need to buy, but not much.

Going to pick up a 3/4 thermarest out there, I need dry bags, a couple of pairs of light weight combats and some wet weather gear, a fleece.

I'm tempted to take my own tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE