Advice on carving a paddle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Google UBC/MOA. All the old paddles are one piece.
The wood was split, not sawn, to make a radial slab. The spine extends the entire length of the paddle.
Split that way keeps the shearing strength while the carving is really easy to do.

I think that there were 2 kinds of paddles here in the PacNW,
one for every day travels and another used on ceremonial occassions.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I made a moctogan knife from a spear and Jackson spade, in a tiny tin can forge. The steel is something else. When it was a spade you could bend that thing if it was levering between 2 heavy stones or something, and it would keep its shape and spring right back, plus some areas of the forging were thin, the thicker areas made one or 2 elbow adze blades
A mate of mine (now deceased) was an expert olympic standard kayaker. At school in 1975 or76 he made a 2 bladed kayak paddle with an ash handle and cedar blades, lanimated with cascamite glue

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not trying to belittle all this carving and so on but my brother with very little carpentry tools just had a go.
Started making paddles and says its really not that hard.
The materials are cheap and his results are pretty damn good.

He's a very practical bloke and sharp enough but the main thing he says is just give it a go.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Good stuff. Sometimes you've gotta just do the do rather than worrying about the waffle.

Back when I made a wooden paddleboard I wanted to make a wooden paddle as well. I've progressed too far past a wooden one being practical for my use (now use a lightweight carbon fibre one) but still plan to make one for the aesthetics. Probably won't be carved though - table saw to make some 'birds mouth' sections that will leave a hollow core.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE