Advice on bikes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
After reading bushcraft by bike, and some previous thoughts on improving my fitness, I've decided to buy a bike, as well as trading the break times in the smoking shelter for the gym to keep my strength up. I haven't ridden one in years, and am now by my own admission a fat git, so will be riding daily. I live about 4 miles from work so start by doing that, jobs a goodun. I however am also looking into using it for travelling to areas to camp and practice bushcraft.
Anyone here have any suggestions on what kind of bike to buy? I qualify for a discount due to a cycle to work scheme so seems a shame not to use it.
Cycling and swimming are basically the only 2 cardio options I have, as due to pretty extensive damage and reconstruction to my knee it won't take the shock of any hilarious attempt at running or jogging. Irony being that's the very thing that made me get so unfit (3 years unable to walk unaided)
I'm leaning toward mountain bike for versatility and have had a good review of cannondale from a friend. Any suggestions gratefully received, and any ridicule for seeing a man who's always thought bikes should have engines on a push bike expected and taken in good natured jest!

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
I'm new to cycling last year and based on friends recommendations (who have been cycling for years) one of the makes I was advised to look for was Cannondale.

I ended up buying a Cannondale Trail 4 29'er off gumtree and I love it. It's slower than the road bike I got a loan of, which was a Dawes Horizon tourer, when I did Newcastle to Aberdeen so best decide what you will be doing most of and buy accordingly.

Have a look at Bear Bones bikepaking forum as well

Andy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'm new to cycling last year and based on friends recommendations (who have been cycling for years) one of the makes I was advised to look for was Cannondale.

I ended up buying a Cannondale Trail 4 29'er off gumtree and I love it. It's slower than the road bike I got a loan of, which was a Dawes Horizon tourer, when I did Newcastle to Aberdeen so best decide what you will be doing most of and buy accordingly.

Have a look at Bear Bones bikepaking forum as well

Andy
Thanks Andy. I think comfort and versatility is what I'm looking for. I'm never going to be in a pellaton here just something to do little here and there rides on and something that will take occasional off road use. Who knows I might grow to love it and move on to having more than 1 bike and doing the road thing but doubt it. Did you encounter any problems I might run in to?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My friend and I recently revamped this old timer
dab2239a16c281aed3f0a6274f7d8b50.jpg

But I'm not exactly built for road bikes!

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Thanks Andy. I think comfort and versatility is what I'm looking for. I'm never going to be in a pellaton here just something to do little here and there rides on and something that will take occasional off road use. Who knows I might grow to love it and move on to having more than 1 bike and doing the road thing but doubt it. Did you encounter any problems I might run in to?

I found the Dawes touring bike to be really comfortable. You could change hand positions and go on the bars or drops, so you had a chance to change riding positions during the day (longest day was 75 miles which I guess you are not going to be doing)

For short tootling about rides, I still prefer the cannondale. I've not tried a hybrid but they seem to be popular.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Andy

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I found the Dawes touring bike to be really comfortable. You could change hand positions and go on the bars or drops, so you had a chance to change riding positions during the day (longest day was 75 miles which I guess you are not going to be doing)

For short tootling about rides, I still prefer the cannondale. I've not tried a hybrid but they seem to be popular.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Andy
Won't be taking that kind of journey in just yet! But who knows. Thanks for the advice and might try to test ride a cannondale as my mate has one

cleargreenlight

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
Redditch
My friend bought a Dawes hybrid and is still pleased with it but had to have extra spokes put in because he rattles at speed along country lanes with panniers filled with at least 3 stone of gear plus a heavy backpack.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I would suggest a hybrid. I have a Giant Escape M2, which I've put a rack on, it's got a mountain bike geometry, but I've put hybrid tyres on it, so that it's good on both road, and light off road. Sure it may bog down in sand, or if you try to cycle through an actual bog, but it works for most terrain. Because it has disk brakes, I actually have 3 sets of wheels for it, depending on what I want to do (road, hybrid, snow).

I used to have a Dawes Discovery 201 before it got nicked :(

HtH.

J

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Decide on where you are most likely to ride it and buy for that. There is nothing worse than buying.something for those times you plan.to ride off road only to find it a real pain for most of your riding on the road.I think, no guarantees here, a hybrid may be a good option. Two types, road and more off road capable types. Road hybrids have skinnier tyres and are like road bikes with flat bars, may have carbon forks to take out road buzz. The other type has front suspension and fatter tyres but not with much travel or not fat and nobbly enough for true off road.

If you have a bit of money to spend try an adventure or gravel bike. Basically a cyclocross originated design so able to go onto rougher terrain but fast like a road bike. I've got a Planetx London Road version and it's good from road to even rocky Lakes trails. It's got 700x37 tyres on but you could put down to say 32s in a slicker tread to get more speed. It'll take mudguards at 37s easily and a rear rack. I'm using mine for everything from road commuting to off road towing a trailer. We're off touring too soon with luck. One tough bike IMHO and capable of meeting your needs.Got mine fit £649 direct from them. They see based in Barnsley IIRC with 2 shops but most buy mail order from online or phone call.

All this depends on budget and use. Seriously think hard on your main use.

One thing I would say is drop handle bikes offer more hand positions which means more comfort on longer rides. I'll change hand positions a lot due to dodgy wrists and elbows. The only way to get the same amount of hand positions on a flat bar bike is by.fitting butterfly or trekking bars. It will look like an old man's touring bike though.

Last edited:

Brynglas

Great stuff, well done. The Cycle to work scheme is a great way to get a bike. The type of bike you buy will of course details depend on the uses you'll put it to. Commuting is great and a general hybrid will do the job, if you fancy doing something off road, be it on unmettaled trails or full on mountain biking you'll obviously need something a bit more robust.
There are plenty of good makes out there at the moment, I'm a big fan of Surly bikes as they use good quality steel for the frames, these don't suit everybody though and there are ny number of manufacturers out there to look at. I wouldn't get too hung up on brands as many brands frames are built in the same factories in Taiwan Giant/ Trek/Ridgeback etc. Decent quality components are what makes the difference and this doesn't have to break the bank.

I'd have a look around for a good independent bike shop near you, I haven't had particularly positive experiences at some of the larger retailers and am lucky to have a top notch bike shop near me in Manchester.

If you're a big bloke (and I'm over 16 stone), there are some great bikes out there that are built around 29" wheels with fat tyres that are built to take abuse and roll well on both roads or trails. (Genesis/ Surly/ Salsa) You can then look at bags/ panniers or frame bags if you want to get out and do some camping/ bivvying. It's a great way to see the world and you've got some great areas in the North East thatbare well worth exploring.

I've gone for complete overkill with my Surly Big Dummy, however I've had it for five years and I've carried my twin girls on the back, I do the shopping and errands with it, done tours in Europe with my 5 year old nephew who has developmental problems on the back. I'm just in the Hebrides having cycled here from the mainland and I can carry beer, shopping, sea kayak, camping gear etc as required. I love it but I am aware that a bike of this type doesn't suit everybody.
c1173783e10735dadf75101ff615d5ad.jpg

And my ride today:
979aa7a0c625e8cfa9e84abcd4a12344.jpg

Good luck with your research, I'm no expert, but if I can help in any way feel free to PM me.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
One word of caution, cycle to work schemes have drawbacks. If you're on lower tax bracket you could end up after paying for the term of the agreement then the fair market value to take ownership of the bike only to find the savings are not that good. For a start a lot of schemes do not allow you to buy a bike in the sales. You can buy old season bikes for as much as 50% off. If you pay with an interest free scheme you might get a bike cheaper this way. Not necessarily but it is possible.Add into that if you leave your employment before the scheme ends you will have to buy out or walk away having lost what you've paid so far. If it gets stolen, damaged or you are unable to ride it you've still got to pay. Officially you've got to use it mostly for commuting too but no employer will check up on that I reckon.I'm not against this scheme as it's got a lot of people into cycling for the day to day journeys and commute to work. I just think you need to look into it carefully, it's not a guaranteed win for you.BTW end of season sales are going to happen about now. Check out Evans cycles and others like wheelbase.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sorry but why does this site not allow you to post with paragraphs when using a mobile? I split the above into several paragraphs but somehow it was changed to onceone long paragraph. Annoying as it's now harder to read!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks for the advice people.I've borrowed a mates mountain bike (cannondale of some kind, hard tail) and have been riding to work and quite enjoying it. Certainly feel more awake when I get in. The cycle to work scheme where I am has 2 options. You can either pay monthly out of your salary or if you want to buy the bike cash you can get a discount from certain retailers. I'll probably be buying cash in all honesty. There's a bike shop near me that's supposedly excellent to deal with so I intend to pop in over the weekend to have a chat with them

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Saying I feel better for riding it, I do have a fairly majorly sore **** by the time I get in! Suppose it's something I'll get used to. My bike experience before this was almost exclusively BMX as a teenager

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The funny thing about that soreness issue, a harder padded saddle may be better than a softer padded saddle.Also finding a width and shape of saddle to suit you is also important. Padded shorts or underwear is helpful too. I've never really bothered with it. As a kid I had a sports bike with a narrow, solid plastic saddle and always a narrow saddle since then.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
The funny thing about that soreness issue, a harder padded saddle may be better than a softer padded saddle.Also finding a width and shape of saddle to suit you is also important. Padded shorts or underwear is helpful too. I've never really bothered with it. As a kid I had a sports bike with a narrow, solid plastic saddle and always a narrow saddle since then.
It's his saddle on this bike. It's fairly form because he said exactly the same thing

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mountain bike trail riding, touring and racing in the forests are very popular summer activities here. Big bikes, big springs, really fat tires.
So I bought a good one, quite some years ago. My plan was to ride the back forestry logging roads for grouse hunting. Me & my shotgun & a snack.
After no more than a mile or two, I thought that I could get a job singing with the Geneva Children's Choir.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Mountain bike trail riding, touring and racing in the forests are very popular summer activities here. Big bikes, big springs, really fat tires.
So I bought a good one, quite some years ago. My plan was to ride the back forestry logging roads for grouse hunting. Me & my shotgun & a snack.
After no more than a mile or two, I thought that I could get a job singing with the Geneva Children's Choir.
I did have to chuckle at that statement! There's a short cut to my workplace that takes an off road section through a dene, dirt path and fairly bumpy. So a road bike is out of the question really. I do like this cannondale actually.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE