advice needed - firesteel loop in leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monkey

May 16, 2005
Lee-on-Solent
Hi Y'all,
I am after some advice, from one of you skilled sheath makers out there........
I would like to make a sheath for my frosts mora, and I have followed Rapidboy's excellent tutorial, but I would like to add a holder/loop for holding a ferrorod fire steel thingy.
I can't see how to incorporate this into the template, how it is stiched in place, and how the perfect cylinrdrical holder is formed that is tight enough to hold the steel firmly in place.
Am I making sense?? :confused:
can anyone help, or post a close up photo of their sheath with a firesteel holder so I can understand how it is done.
many thanks in advance,
Mark

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
right or wrong, this is how I did it...

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF00021.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

I hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers,

Joe

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Well that makes sense to me and logical too, thanks. Not that I'm making a sheath just now of course!

Monkey

May 16, 2005
Lee-on-Solent
Nice one Joe, that is sort of what I had in mind, but I would like to have the steel holder right next to the knife.
I reckon that following your design and leaving less of a gap between the knife and steel, I could do it the same way. I like the way that it is all one bit of leather, welt included, rather than using separate bits.
Many thanks bud!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE