Adder bite

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It appear TV chat show host Paul O'Grady is recovering after being bitten by an adder.

:cussing: Now, I am not trying to start a virulent thread about media reporting, but it really annoys me the way it is presented (sexed up?): O'Grady recovers from snake attack

The poor adder was probably woken up from its torpor and defended itself, but they make it sound like it was a monstrous, violent snake which attacked the poor Mr O'grady and blood "poured": out of the wounds.:banghead:

Has anyone here been "attacked" by monstrous snakes and had blood pouring out of the wounds?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ah, the Meeja, bless 'em.

At least the guy didn't kill the adder.

The journalists are confusing our domestic snake with the African Black Mamba, which is a touchy little devil that'll have a go for the hell of it.:cool:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've looked after someone with an adder bite, they had a very swollen arm up to the shoulder/ collar bone (bite on index finger) with a moderate haemorrhagic rash. While not ill, there was a chance of lasting damage to tissues etc until this all subsided( about 1 week IIRC. His bite was 2 small punctures, no/little blood.
sounds like Paul was lucky..

leon-1

Adder bites are not to be underestimated, IIRC the venom is classed as a cytotoxin although strictly speaking this is not true as pretty much all snake venom is made up of a complex series of protiens which can have all types of toxin, neurotoxin, cytotoxin and heamotoxin within them, they tend to be classified by the major amount of toxin type.

What I found somewhat comical was the statement

article said:
According to the Forestry Commission, the adder is the only poisonous snake native to Britain.

I thought that this was pretty much common knowledge.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
They can be quite bad, we used to catch them in Dorset when i was a lad, I've never been bitten but i know a couple of people that have, as a fit and healthy adult there's not a lot to worry about really, it is of course better to avoid it :D As a kid I was very conscious about getting bitten because the old timers used to say that we were in danger, us young ones and the older people.

I presume it's like many thanks, the young and old are more at risk from not being able to cope with the attack on the body. There's also the point that they don't always inject, vipers can bit, draw blood etc but not pump any venom into the wound, maybe that happened to Paul.

I do feel for the snake, he'd be very docile at the moment, a rude awakening.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It just goes to show how uncommon common really is these days. Take common sense for example, not too much of that around any more.

Feel sorry for the snake more than anything. Can't be nice being chased about by a huge cross dresser with a broom.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Perhaps the snakewas a fan of good entertainment!
How long long before the Daily Mail champion the cause, create an outcry (- "snakes everywhere just waiting to kill you"- "Ross, Brand and Adders in sinisssssster plot") , apply pressure on the government and .......SNAKES ARE BANNED

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
What bit me ;) on this occasion, is the dramatic manner of "reporting" it. Remember some years ago when the film Jaws came out? That resulted in the death of millions of sharks!

I am not saying that's going to happen, but there are enough bozzos out there who'd kill a snake, well, anything really, because some daft article in the "meeja". and I think it does not help nature conservation! Anyway, I am on the snake's side! Being woken up like that!!

mick spain

Nomad
Oct 13, 2005
kent
I spose what makes it worse Paul OGrady has a bad heart,:( I think I have heard that somewhere:rolleyes:
But they do go over the top with most things;)

leon-1

I was under the impression that Adders were a protected species and that you are not allowed to kill, harm or sell them.

In which case if Mr O'Grady has harmed the adder he has committed an offence (I think it's the wildlife act) and as such would be open to prosecution.

Anyone want to start a group on Facebook "Justice for the Adder, lock up O'Grady"

As to the total legalities of the case you would probably have to ask a herpetologist, it's their line and could give more information than I.

Did anyone call a vet to ensure the snake had not been harmed?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If he has had a heart problem he maybe on anti coagulants which would explain the bleeding. The media storm will blow over, they will be panicking about the weather tomorrow and will shouting about how Britain is in the grip of Arctic conditions and ten foot snow drifts.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If he has had a heart problem he maybe on anti coagulants which would explain the bleeding. The media storm will blow over, they will be panicking about the weather tomorrow and will shouting about how Britain is in the grip of Arctic conditions and ten foot snow drifts.

Yesterday's newspaper is tomorrow's cat tray liner.....
4167.gif

Oct 30, 2003
Cornwall
Snake bite! It can hurt, and whats more its worrying about what symptoms come next! I am a qualified venemous snake handler...the lot including mamba and a qualified venemous snake first aider. Its amazing just how many theories there are about treating snake bite.
Having aquired a number of bites, most of the time you dont feel it, until you think youve got a scratch that needs looking at.
Venom potency varies on area, condition of the snake and the severity of the bite depends on body mass, patient factors, whether the snake was suddenly surprised or just annoyed.
The type of bite ,full bite, glancing bite, single fang or scratch.
Adders like to rely on camouflage and not moving to avoid detection, thus the liklihood of being bitten is quite good, because they feel confident in their camouflage right up to the point that you are too close. Some adders hiss, but not always.
Envenomation doesnt always take place, hence the reason that the treatment regime is based on syptoms. The big problem is anaphylactic reactions to both the bite and or the anti-venom.
Having been bitten by an adder and scratch on my leg from a snouted cobra, stress and shock is a major problem, becuase you dont know if its going to go your way.....or not! Its always good to know your in the right hands, and that means getting medical treatment straight away.
The cobra bite had no effect, but the adder bite was like being hit on the thumb with a hammer, every time the heart beats.
So, Paul O Grady is a prime example of a classic snake bite.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE