Acorns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 4, 2014
Guildford, Surrey
Hello all,

Long-time reader, first-time poster on the forum, and my first one is a request!

For the past month or two I’ve been trying to keep an eye out for acorns since I’m planning to preserve some and make a Christmas gift with them, but for the life of me I cannot seem to find any! Sounds mad I know.

The article below left me with dwindling hopes so I’m throwing it out to anyone who might know of any places in Surrey they have seen some this year?

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...upply-say-forestry-commission-and-naturalists

Any recommendations welcome :)

Thanks,
Dan.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We have not had a good Acorn crop around here for a long time. This year was superb for Beech though ... just not for Acorns...

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hello and welcome :)

As a Surrey resident who works with trees I can confirm that this is not a good year for acorns....as the old saying goes "should have been here yesterday", well last year anyway...we had a serious glutt last year but a definite drought this year. I've hardly seen any on any oak in this area this year.

We do have rather a glutt of most other things this year, Beech nuts were bumper but more or less finished now. Sweet chestnuts are everywhere and some with a good size to them...maybe think about dong whatever you were planning with acorns this year with Chestnuts instead??? and these how next year goes.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

Jun 4, 2014
Guildford, Surrey
Thanks for the responses chaps, looks like I'll have to change my plans...Just my luck managing to pick the one time I need acorns and there's a drought for them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE