About Time Too!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Vehicles have always been bared from using footpaths and bridleways, the only routes that were allowed access were what used to be called Road Used as Public Path (RUPP) and Byway Open to All Traffic (BOAT) so if you have encountered vehicles on footpaths and bridleways they never should have been there so what difference will this make!!!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Its all well and good bringing out new laws, but they need to be enforced, look at how many people still use mobile phones while driving, how many cars break the speed limit etc etc..........

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
As far as I can tell from the legislation, it basically gives the National Parks the power to create / vary traffic regulation orders pertaining to

"a byway open to all traffic, a restricted byway, a bridleway or a footpath, or a carriageway whose surface, or most of whose surface, does not consist of concrete, tarmacadam, coated roadstone or other prescribed material"

I think that previously the National Parks would have had no power to create / vary traffic regulation orders, this would have been responsibility of the Higway Authority for the particular road.

A lot of byways / bridleways probably don't have proper traffic regulations orders attached to them because of their historic nature, so who is and who isn't allowed on them is assumed in some cases. This means that the National Park will be able to create specific tailored orders for the above, effectively bannign / allowing certain types of traffic.

Theoretically, this could mean that they would have the powers to vary orders in order to allow motorbikes on certain sections of byways if they so wished (obviously unlikely)

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
NERC does not affect foot paths and bridleways - RTA makes it illegal to drive/ride on these.

NERC removes the historic vehicle rights to use Routes used as Pubic Paths (roads you can walk along) and any dual status Byway Open to All Traffic - the car/bike has to be tax, tested insured still as these are normal roads just untarmaced. It will make no difference to illegal use. If any thing it will make it worse a those with a more caviliar attitute will say sod if it I'm gonig to lose vehicle rights from "green lanes" I might as well get an unplated bike and go any where.

NERC came in in April in England and yesterday in Wales - the new bit give National Parks (and therefore those that can shout loudest) the power to place Traffic Restriction Orders on any road they see fit for any reason.

If you live up an unsealed track with public access beware you may not be allowed to drive it.

Business in some areas are already losing business because of NERC.

NERC is a very baddly worded, baddly thought out knee jerk reaction to a preceived problem (it does not tackle the already illegal activities that people complain about). Alot of it is the RA not wanting to "share" their walking space with vehicles. Following this they have already made mutterings about wanting mountain bikes off bridleways as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE