about poly/cotton jackets...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bjorn Victor

Forager
Apr 3, 2006
Belgium
I see a lot of clothes are made of a 35% cotton 65% polyester mix (or is it vice versa?). Is that spark/flame resistant? Does it melt/burn?

bjorn

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Flame resistant? No, not really. I once had an RCAF intermediate flight jacket in poly/cotton that I used before I got my hands on a Ventile jacket. I burned a hole in it with a cigarette. (The Ventile is no more, but that's a different story)

It WILL melt and burn because of the polyester. It's a little bit funny that the CF's flight gear was never made of Nomex flame retardent fabrics until just a couple of years ago.

I will say this though: A properly treated poly/cotton jacket will be extremely water repellent and is not a bad substitute for Ventile. The big secret is in the twill weave, it has a very high surface tension. That means that water droplets are less likely to soak in on contact such as with Ventile, which is an oxford weave. The problem with twill woven fabrics is that eventually water will start to soak through but due to the nature of the weave, the fabric cannot swell in a uniform pattern. And as we all know, that swelling is what makes Ventile such an amazing fabric.

To summarize: Yes, poly/cotton will melt and burn. But it's a lot cheaper than Ventile and given a good proofing will keep you dry for quite some time.

Adam

W

WERDNA

polly cotton burns and melts onto the skin, flame retardant fabrics are usually 100% cotton because it doesnt melt,

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
True, the old-school flame retardent fabrics were a chemically treated cotton. Unfortunately, the treatment loses it's effectiveness over time and repeated washings. DuPont's Nomex is a nylon polymide with a very high combustion point. It does not melt or drip and only chars.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE