A walk in the New Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I thought it might be nice to document one of our walks in the New Forest.

We got off to an early start, leaving the house at 06:00. We arrived at the Tall Trees car park (SU267047) at 06:20, just before sun rise. This car park is usually choc-a-block with visitors but, at this time in the morning, we had the place to ourselves. Usefully, it has a toilet facilities. I got the kettle on for breakfast.

16911775389_21024b1a44_c.jpg

It was surprisingly cold with frost on the grass in places. Even after a chocolate brioche and hot chocolate breakfast, morale was low. So, I made a small
fire to warm up the kids.

16911773489_901eea1c11_c.jpg

Sunrise. It didn't take long for everyone to warm up, so we headed off on a quick diversion to Blackwater Arboretum (it can be good for birding) although we didn't see or hear anything of note today.

17096449472_8618771e40_c.jpg

After the arboretum, we went back to the car to pick up our packs and headed south east to Fletchers Water. We forded the stream (the first of many stream crossing today) and headed east through the deciduous woodland, following the water course upstream. This area is known as Fletchers Thorns Enclosure.

17097971505_f54c8a83fb_c.jpg

The dawn chorus was amazing. We could hear many common species including Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Chiffchaff, Wren, Blue Tit and Great Tit, Gold Crest, Wood Pigeon, Chaffinch, Robin and Blackbird. We stopped to try and spot a particularly vocal Song Thrush.

16911768119_7492de1e0b_c.jpg

A little further along and we came across a large, wind-thrown Ash. After a quick scout around we found some King Alfreds Cakes. I've been keeping my eye out for these for a few weeks or so and, until now, had failed to find any. That said, there hasn't been much Ash either along the routes we have chosen just lately...mainly oak and Beech.

16890569587_1db4dd934b_c.jpg

After a couple of hundred metres, the stream leaves the woodland and flows through a more open area of heavily grazed grassland fringed with trees and patches of Bracken.

16910183348_2a003aab47_c.jpg

The grass was covered in dew, revealing many sheetwebs. In amongst the Bracken one could find the odd flowering Primrose.

16911762139_ff6032e5a2_c.jpg

We forded Fletchers Water and headed north east onto Poundhill Heath. It was still misty as we made our way along a fence line on the northern boundary of the heath. In the far distance we could see a herd of Red Deer.

16475517314_164c457229_c.jpg

This next picture was taken the following day. We did get close to the deer but failed to get a decent photo. It seems this herd regularly frequents Poundhill Heath and moves off into the woodland to the north of the heath during the morning.

17072002366_cb780a3295_c.jpg

We crossed the heath, heading east for Highland Water. We splashed through one of the many ephemeral pools which cover the heath.

17072000486_c44d2f8a40_c.jpg

On reaching Highland Water, we followed the watercourse down stream. This is actually the former course of the stream as recent works has served to move the bulk of the flow to a parallel course further north. We believe this work, which attempted to produce a more natural water course by introducing meanders, was undertaken to alleviate flooding downstream.

Here we heard a Raven as it flew over us. We didn't get a good view but it was still nice to hear. We also flushed a couple of pairs of Mandarin Duck.

The New Forest is known for its ancient oaks. We came across this old giant along this section of the walk. Not the biggest in the Forest....but still big.

16911754829_1cc033e0c2_c.jpg

There seems to be an awful lot of deadwood in the Forest recently and lots of wind-thrown trees. This view up Highland Water gives you some idea of what I mean. Clearly, a lot of the smaller branches have been washed down stream during the winter floods and have become caught up the larger toppled trees. I love messy woodland and lots of dead wood can only be good for (certain) invertebrate communities.

17097954415_5932ca1ffe_c.jpg

Throughout this area, and along much of the walk, one could find plenty of Lesser Celandine and Wood Anemone.

17097952865_d327e5da8b_c.jpg

We continued to follow Highland Water (south east) until we reached Bolderford Bridge, which marks the confluence of Highland Water and Ober Water. We now turned south west to follow Ober Water upstream.

16911749839_890746b9d5_c.jpg

Ober Water is usually choc-a-block with grockles staying at the Forest Enterprise Campsite. One can see the many rope swings which have been set up across the stream. Fortunately, at this time of year the campsite is closed. That said, there were still a fair few folk about on this part of the walk. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good that people get out and enjoy the countryside....especially those who perhaps can't when at home. But we do tend to avoid the honey pot sites where we can and seek out the more secret parts of the Forest.

17071992106_471a8c5fdd_c.jpg

As you can see, this is a lovely stretch of water, best visited outside the holiday season and best avoided during the summer holidays. We heard our first Willow Warblers of the year along this section of Ober Water.

16910386560_7a4bc9b7a2_c.jpg

To the north of Ober water, and the woodland along its course, one can see glimpses of Fletchers Green; an open area of heather, Gorse and Bracken.

16910161388_b293003c13_c.jpg

We followed Ober Water past the bridge which crosses into the Forest Enterprise Campsite and onto the footbridge which crosses the stream. At this point we left Ober Water and headed north onto Alridge Hill and into Alridge Enclosure. The kids were flagging at this point, so we started to look for a good spot for lunch.

16890543667_e17ac67bcb_c.jpg

We continued northwards towards Ober Heath and down Alridge Hill. Off to the left we spotted a small herd of Fallow Deer.

16477788633_a4a56f5654_c.jpg

We settled down for lunch on the edge of Ober Heath. I used the Trangia to heat up some hot dogs. Nice...well the kids like them :) It was starting to get quite hot, so we removed a layer of clothing and stowed it in our bags.

17097938255_cabe27e27c_c.jpg

After lunch we struck out across Ober Heath, heading northwards towards a high hide. There were lots of deer trails through the heather suggesting the location of the high hide was well chosen.

17097936475_81606752aa_c.jpg

On reaching the hide, we discovered a fire pond close by. These can be real havens for wildlife, especially in the summer months as they are dug deep and don't tend to dry out. Previously, I have fished a grass snake out of one of these ponds.

16890536377_d9a0a3651d_c.jpg

From the pond we headed north west and were almost forced to turn back as we encountered a deep and wide drainage ditch, which was full of pond weed. It was shown on the map but you never know what it's going to be like until you get there. Luckily, some kindly soul had fashioned a makeshift bridge out of logs and we were able to get across.

Shortly after the bridge we came across some flowering Blackthorn; the first we have seen this year.

17071975206_da58c42580_c.jpg

We continued north west and crossed area of grassland and arrived back on Fletchers Water.

17096407372_f7ef2f0228_c.jpg

We followed Fletchers Water downstream and back to the car park, taking the opportunity to cool our hot feet in the cold water during our last stream crossing. Along the way we spotted a single Roe Deer buck and a pair of Mandarin Ducks.

16911727879_783572dede_c.jpg

In total, the walk was approximately 10km. I hope you enjoyed the journey; we certainly did.

Last edited:

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
We love the New Forest my family live out there, we live in Blandford further west, the forest holds so may surprises, always pack your swim shorts when visiting the forest, the tributaries are always a great place to stop for a swim!

Great report Jack

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
To better illustrate the route taken, I have provided the following image (from ViewRanger).

17138061061_acd21e06d9_c.jpg

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Couldn't view the pictures as I'm on a weak 2g signal out here on my phone. So saying didn't need them as the pictures in my head that you put there were enough. Excellent write up of an area that I only know in passing. Cheers for taking the time to share.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE