A quick puzzle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
cut leaf beech aka fern leaf beech

Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Common beech, Fagus sylvatica, form asplenifolia, otherwise known as fernleaf or cut-leaved beech. Growing on the estate where I work, which seems to be full of all sorts of unusual sorts of trees.

The bark is typical beech - grey and smooth.

Thanks all for taking part, and sorry if I frustrated anyone with my annoying puzzle.

Oh, and MountainM, it is in Collins trees, or at least it is in my copy. :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not in mine.
d4e17040-5c6e-355f.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
According to my RHS book here, Cut Leaf Beech is not a native, it's an introduced species/cultivar?, it was the native bit that got me i think, lovely looking tree though, never seen one before.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was thinking beech is a native, and cut-leaved is a cultivar. My book doesn't show it as anything other than a variety. This is the only one I have ever seen, but as it is right next to the site entrance, I walk past it daily at work.

MountainM, I think I'm using an older copy than you are.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been sitting here, staring at that photo, searching google with no result.

All the time, looking at it thinking 'that looks like a Beech, but it can't be with those leaves' :lmao:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Also in with that tree on the estate there are hornbeams, Black Locust, Osage orange, more maple varieties than I can count or identify, several exotic confiers, and some shrubs that I still haven't worked out. Oh, and a Golden Rain Tree, which sounds highly dubious, but is actually rather pretty.

One day I need to get a serious tree expert in there, and I will learn loads.

I get my St George's mushrtooms there too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have to admit I thought those were catkins, and since my beech's are dark I never gave them a thought.
Whitish bark to me is silver birch or poplar.

We live and learn :D

cheers,
Toddy

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Gentlemen, we have a winner!

Common beech, Fagus sylvatica, form asplenifolia, otherwise known as fernleaf or cut-leaved beech. Growing on the estate where I work, which seems to be full of all sorts of unusual sorts of trees.

The bark is typical beech - grey and smooth.

Thanks all for taking part, and sorry if I frustrated anyone with my annoying puzzle.

Oh, and MountainM, it is in Collins trees, or at least it is in my copy. :)

Aww shucks! I was reading the start of this thread thinking "I know it, I know it!" suprised peeps didn't get it before it was got. In a garden I worked at we had a massive one that succumed to a fungal disease and was turned into many a worksurface for the numerous workshops, the house diary said it was planted 120 years ago... - we used to sit under it and eat our lunch. Stunningly elegant tree. Scuse the pics, this was many years ago when digicams were in their infancy ;O)
dscf0322ar.jpg

dscf0321a.jpg

dscf0320a.jpg

Thanks for the reminder :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It was them that told me when I did their exam 30 years ago:lmao:

Must have been reclassified since 1982 then, as it shows it as Introduced in the 1800's, well it does in the book i have here that was published by the RHS is 2009.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That Southern Nettle tree looks interesting, John :) I didn't know that one at all.

I have a Beech hedge and it's dried bronze leaves hang on right through to late Spring :) Lovely trees, and useful, if not good for camping under.

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE