A Night Out on Derwentwater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Due to an unexpected free night, and the weather being better than the forecast, I nipped over to Derwentwater for a night's camping. After stopping on the lakeshore to collect firewood, I arrived on St Herbert's Island just as it got dark and unloaded the canoe. Once I'd set up the tarp and hammock, I got the fire going, cooked my sausages and made a start on the whisky. Not exactly fine dining, but it hit the spot and I slept like a baby.
Waking up to this was wonderful

IMGP1362.jpg

IMGP1380.jpg

and I could have laid there all morning if my bladder hadn't insisted otherwise. Having a look around in the daylight, I couldn't help but notice the mess made by some "bushcrafters". I found two shelters

IMGP1383.jpg

and

IMGP1384.jpg

that wouldn't even offer protection from a midge's fart, both cut from live wood. As the only greenery on the island at this time of year is yew and holly, the shelters were poisonous and prickly as well. I'd have been less annoyed if the shelters were any good, but my four year old could do better using his Bob the Builder playset.

By this point the wind was picking up, so I had breakfast, dowsed the fire, loaded up and set off back to the car into a stiff headwind.

When I got home, I had to go and fix the mother in law's toilet. With the benefit of hindsight, I realise that I shouldn't have left the island.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
looks like a great wee night, i hope to have some nights like this in my local forest when the better nights come in ( my first year as a experimental bushcrafter:p)

how hard is it to get all your gear in the canoe

webbie

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
looks like a great wee night, i hope to have some nights like this in my local forest when the better nights come in ( my first year as a experimental bushcrafter:p)

how hard is it to get all your gear in the canoe

webbie

It's very easy to get all my gear in my canoe; it's a standard 16' long, and you could quite happily fit two people and all their kit for several weeks journey if you travelled light.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Thanks for posting Cumbrian.

Looks like a beautiful spot.

Shame bout the shelters that someone left behind.

Question .. is your tarp set up a standard army basha ?

My tarp is very similar to the standard army basha ( webbing reinforced edges and ridgeline, tape loops and eyelets ), but it measures 3m x 3m.

I got it from here:

http://www.usmcpro.com/usmcgb/indexf.php?PHPSESSID=445c3b4219d1c6b6feebd5bb5e5b5158

Look in Equipment, Bivouac, Tents & Shelters.

No connection or anything, just good kit and service. I've found that it's best to phone up and confirm that things are in stock though.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Swallows and Amazons ahoy! Looks great. My kids would love to camp on an island like that, do you have to get permision? or just not be seen?

If you need permission, I've never asked for it and have never been asked to explain myself. By the number of people who use the island at busy times, I'd say not, even though it's owned by the National Trust. There used to be a signpost on the north end of the island with lots of bylaws on the back, but someone burned it.
If you're taking kids, be aware that many of the people that stay there have no consideration at all for their surroundings, and leave lots of litter including broken glass. There's only been a few occasions ( all in the depths of winter ) when I haven't carried out other people's rubbish as well as my own. This trip was an exception, as the forecast was so bad no-one else went there and I had the island to myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE