A night at Codale Tarn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I bought the large Superlight bivvy from MLD when I bought my Trailstar, I was torn between that and the bug bivvy but I think I made the right choice. The large version is made for taking thick mats like a Neoair or Exped. With my Neoair short, a PHD Minim 300 or Alpkit PD 400, I still have plenty of room to move about. I slip a TAR sit pad or my OMM Duomat under my feet.

I got one of Seans Oooktubs but only used it once so it's not really tested yet, it's mega light with the Chikara fabric and my useless Terra Nova tiny titanium pegs hold it in place nicely. I've picked up a few different inners but I think I prefer just a bivvy rather than a full nest.

I can see the benefit of a bivi, helping keep you on the Neoair and another layer of fabric. My large Alpkit bivi was just not big enough for me - felt like I was in a body bag.

Im liking the look of the oooknest tub, but do worry that I will be sliding off the thermarest all night. Ho hum, decision decisions & more virtual shopping :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I've got a few options I use with the Trailstar, a polycryo sheet, my MYOG bath tub floor groundsheet, the Borah Gear bivy, and also recently bought a chikara/cuben/mesh inner from Oookworks. Most of the time I just use the bathtub floor I made but if expecting bugs the Oookworks inner is very good, I've taken it on my last couple of trips, more to try it out than through necessity but I'm very pleased with it.

...from ordering to delivery was three weeks for me - lightning fast by MLD standards :)

That is quick! Good to hear. Have you had chance to take it out yet?

Great read lads. Nothing like a bit of weather up high. I really need a trailstar in my life. im getting closer to pushing the button

Do it! :)

...Im liking the look of the oooknest tub, but do worry that I will be sliding off the thermarest all night. Ho hum, decision decisions & more virtual shopping :)

If you opt for a chikara tub it's a lot less slippery than the silnylon. I added a few strips/dots of silnet to my silnylon floor and it seems to have cured any sliding around, thankfully.

Matt

PS - Which pack is it you're using Trunks?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I've got a few options I use with the Trailstar, a polycryo sheet, my MYOG bath tub floor groundsheet, the Borah Gear bivy, and also recently bought a chikara/cuben/mesh inner from Oookworks. Most of the time I just use the bathtub floor I made but if expecting bugs the Oookworks inner is very good, I've taken it on my last couple of trips, more to try it out than through necessity but I'm very pleased with it.

If you opt for a chikara tub it's a lot less slippery than the silnylon. I added a few strips/dots of silnet to my silnylon floor and it seems to have cured any sliding around, thankfully.

Thanks Matt, some good advice & food for thought there. I might have more question later.

PS - Which pack is it you're using Trunks?

It's a ULA Ohm 2.0. I like it apart from the way the back rounds slightly when it rammed with gear. I might look onto solid/mesh back plates.

I quite liked Snozz's new pack though. I can't remember who it's made by, but it had some massive pockets on the front too, giving a very balanced pack. I'm sure he'll be on later to tell us :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What was up with the Mini Atomic James?

I bought one of Zelphs Fancee Feests a few months ago, I think it's going to replace my MA

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Picture of the year so far :)

2013-08-21091814_zpsed0e6265.jpg

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
What was up with the Mini Atomic James?

I bought one of Zelphs Fancee Feests a few months ago, I think it's going to replace my MA

Early onset Alzheimer's! I just couldn't remember whether I was supposed to keep the screw plug in or not. In my defence, it has been a while since I used it :) screw in or out, either way, I couldn't get it to stay lit :(

BTW, what did you use for guy lines? The ones from MLD are pants.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
BTW, what did you use for guy lines? The ones from MLD are pants.

Weird stuff ain't it, I've no idea what it is or why Ron chooses it but, it felt like junk so I binned it.

That stuff I've got on now is called Glo-Line, I got a load of it on HF. I thought it was reflective when I bought it but I think it's actually for UV lighting. It's light, strong and it also fits the LineLocks perfectly

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
Looks great mate. Nice place you picked for camp. Will give the route a go I think I love it up in the lakes.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth

Just looked these up Rich. Wow, they look good.

Looking at the logo, ASDA sell fancy feast by another name, "Gourmet Gold with Beef in Gravy"

fancy-feast.jpg

31414Z%2BgQ8L.jpg

At 44p i might have to have a go at making one :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE