A new direction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've decided its time to get back out paddling but having sold my Mad River Reflection last year and turned it into a gas boiler, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start again.

As such, I've also decided that I'm no longer prepared to chew on, humping a giant plastic bathtub around anymore, so the new boat will be either an Ally DR15 folding canoe or an Alpacka packraft ,possibly the Mule but more likely the Gnu.

The Ally is a full size canoe which paddles.and behaves more or less the same as any hard shell but is formed from a heavy vinyl skin stretched over.an alloy frame. They're pretty heavy at about 16kg and in my opinion only really portable when stowed in their bags and chucked in the back of a vehicle:naughty: but they're a doddle to store.

The Alpacka raft on the other hand definitely does not paddle like a canoe or a kayak for that matter but they weigh about 6 to 7lbs, pack down to the size of a two man tent and their gnu can be paddled with either a canoe or kayak paddle.

I'm still pondering and haven't made a final decision but my head is saying gnu while my heart is with the Ally!

Watch this space!

Steve

rancid badger

Go Ally, you can pick up a kids inflatable dinghy anytime ;)

Oh yeah, a kids inflatable for £1300, anytime, no problem:rolleyes:

If I get the Ally,I'm planning on heading up to Knoydart for the SoTP mini gathering at the start of August (I say "mini" as in not as big as a "Big Meet" not the BMW hair dresser mobile) have you seen MattT's invitation over there (SOTP) by the way? Certainly the best get together location I've yet seen on there.

cheers

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I know I'm not exactly on the way but you're welcome to borrow my Bob if you need to

Knoydart, start of August? Best get the Wilmas and Beaton jacket ready :)

rancid badger

I know I'm not exactly on the way but you're welcome to borrow my Bob if you need to

Knoydart, start of August? Best get the Wilmas and Beaton jacket ready :)

Thanks for the very kind offer Rich but I've not got roof bars fitted to the latest car (I could get some though...............) Just kidding!

No that's really generous but if I go, it'll be with a boat that fits inside the car and it's just a Fiesta so....:cool:

Hah! I've actually got a Beatons midge jacket and mittens on the way!:mosquitos:just in case like!

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more folk off here on the list to be honest. The Knoydart peninsula really is the last snippet of almost wilderness left and the scenery and wildlife is pretty spectacular (for the UK anyway)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've not been on SOTP for a long time, as you know lol, I should pop my head in sometime

It's lovely up there, we passed through on the CWT walk a couple of years ago

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE