A new canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
God knows how I just posted half a message.

It is a lovely canoe, spent several years being towed behind a narrowboat, squashed in locks and dragged along towpaths. It's also taught me and several others how to paddle.

I feel a treat is coming on, especially as I am going to be doing some touring. I know I'll get my money back on my old Old Town.

I want something stable and tough, but a bit lighter for portaging. It's going to be for tandem use (I do like to take passengers out), and I want camping space for two.

I've seen the Tarka 15 on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TARKA-CAN...ods_CanoesKayaks_Rafts_SM&hash=item1c226ca224

Don't like the moulded seats (I'm a kneeling thwart man), but I imagine I could have one made without them.

Has anyone paddled them before?

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
ive been looking at the mad river ones i was tempted to get a prospecter but a freind said there heavy if your on your own , i want somthing 2 to 3 man light .

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
i curently have a seadoo inflatable one
IMG00150-20110601-1202.jpg

IMG00165-20110603-2114.jpg

me and the lad loves it

Last edited:

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Ah, the Novacraft Pal. I could see myself owning one of them. It's a strong contender. I really want something a bit better for passengers than the Bob Special.

TBH, I quite like the Tarka because it's made in Cornwall, and it has some storage at both ends. Not sure I should base my decision on that, though, and I accept it's going to be more fragile than something made of more esoteric stuff. But it's also easier to fix should it be damaged. I think with some skid plates it could be alright, at least for a while. And a lot less of an event when it gets stolen (it would shock you the number of times my canoe has been stolen).

As for Mad River, my friend has one. It's certainly easier to paddle than my Old Town, but there's something about them. Not quite the boat for me.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Not today, there isn't! It's just the same stuff you'd buy at Ebay prices; fair, but no more or less than they always sell for. If you want a bargain, towpath telegraph is the only way to buy a boat.

Looks are all very subjective, of course. What do you think is an attractive canoe? What makes the Tarka hideous? Have you padded a Tarka 15 and not got on with it? If so, why?

Not wishing to start an argument, just curious. :D

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Nope - haven't paddled one as for me, a canoe should be a thing of elegance & practicality. So, not having paddled one (or seen one in the flesh), why wouldn't I want one;

- low gunnels (could get wet in low winds)
- no space for buoyancy bags (rules out any moving water trips...I know the bulkheads are sealed, but what is the volume?)
- very low seats (uncomfortable kneeling)
- rocker (photos show high rocker so could be difficult paddling solo in winds)
- can't remove central seat or use kneeling thwart (solo paddling difficult to get balance right)
- can't move seats (they appear to be bonded to the hull)
- payload (losing 200kg over Guide 160 [380kg V 576kg])
- space (losing 3" in width so will your barrels fit it)

Lastly (IMHO) looks like something Pocahontas tried to make in basic plastic class - not nice and I wouldn't want to paddle it.

Just my comments and not having paddled it, all based on description & looks. However, I have paddled a few canoes over the years.......

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
Nope - haven't paddled one as for me, a canoe should be a thing of elegance & practicality. So, not having paddled one (or seen one in the flesh), why wouldn't I want one;

- low gunnels (could get wet in low winds)
- no space for buoyancy bags (rules out any moving water trips...I know the bulkheads are sealed, but what is the volume?)
- very low seats (uncomfortable kneeling)
- rocker (photos show high rocker so could be difficult paddling solo in winds)
- can't remove central seat or use kneeling thwart (solo paddling difficult to get balance right)
- can't move seats (they appear to be bonded to the hull)
- payload (losing 200kg over Guide 160 [380kg V 576kg])
- space (losing 3" in width so will your barrels fit it)

Lastly (IMHO) looks like something Pocahontas tried to make in basic plastic class - not nice and I wouldn't want to paddle it.

Just my comments and not having paddled it, all based on description & looks. However, I have paddled a few canoes over the years.......

Much as I love my Guide 160 is it's a tank! It has a huge payload (I have carried 6 adults on more than one occasion). I really want something a bit smaller and lighter. The Guide has a chined shape, great for taking casual paddlers out as it's super stable but that does make it harder to trim when you paddle solo.

I grant you, it does have a lot of rocker though.

oldpaddler

Apr 14, 2012
United Kingdom
I know this is an old thread.

I have the 13ft version of the Tarka 15. (not the flat stern Canoe they are making now).

It paddles very well. Moves through the water with very little effort. My nine year old managed to handle it in a slow moving river after only an hour of coaching.

It has very good secondary stability and can be used in fast water with confidence.

Sorry to butt into the debate but you really paddle one before deciding if they are any good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE