A morning in rural Norfolk...a few pics.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
Hi...

I am very lucky to live on a farm in rural Norfolk, and have access to acres of woodland with not a soul around for miles.

So, with the sun shining, 2 very eager dogs and a rucksack, I headed out to what s basically the bottom of my garden...yet it felt like miles away.

Todays main aim was to practice bowdrill techniques, improve wild plant ID and to road test a homemade blade...as well as bake a cheeky bannock for breakfast.

Please excuse the quality of the pics as they were taken on my phone...

The bottom of the garden...

IMG-20110614-01293-3.jpg

Here is the entrance to the woods...one of my favourite woods to be in...

IMG-20110614-01294-2.jpg

Does it get any better than this?! :)

IMG-20110614-01296-1.jpg

A fox hole...

IMG-20110614-01298-2.jpg

Walking less than 1Km is thirsty work...time to bust out the hobostove...

IMG-20110614-01301.jpg

Found last seasons Hazelnuts all around me. Broke a few open but they didnt seem edible...

IMG-20110614-01305-2.jpg

The view from my coffee table...I wandered off for a bit at this point in an attempt to improve my wild plant ID skills.

IMG-20110614-01304-2.jpg

After a while it was time to make some breakfast, so got the fire going with this...

IMG-20110614-01306-2.jpg

Road tested the homemade blade at this point and make feather sticks/kindling. It holds it edge remarkably well...I must admit it is purely by accident!! Razor sharp :)

Breakfast...

IMG-20110614-01308-2.jpg

Bannock cooked in the swedish mess tin and a brew on the go. Oscar was looking on expectantly from his bracken debris shelter...I'd remembered to pack the dogs rawhide treats!

IMG-20110614-01310.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is please?

IMG-20110614-01311.jpg

ALmost dozed off here whilst breakfast was cooking. Its amazing what pops its head out when you quieten down for a while. Squirrels, pheasant and what I thought was a tree creeper...

IMG-20110614-01313.jpg

Beats any cafe table...CHEERS!

IMG-20110614-013162.jpg

AFter all that, I totally forgot about the bowdrill...ah well, theres always tomorrow :) Thanks for looking...

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
Nice pics, I do envy you and your backyard... or should I say backwoods?

I'm pretty sure that your Swedish mess kit is actually a German one. I've used German Bundeswehr issued mess kits for 10+ years.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
I'm pretty sure that your Swedish mess kit is actually a German one. I've used German Bundeswehr issued mess kits for 10+ years.

I think youre right actually....someone has said that to me before. Either way its a great bit of kit.

Thanks for the help with the ID Bushwhacker...

Sorry about rubbing it on Badger haha...Im a lucky git I know...

maethor

Jun 10, 2011
Berlin, Germany
I think youre right actually....someone has said that to me before. Either way its a great bit of kit.

That's for sure. I'm always happy to see german made stuff outside of Germany, especially military issued gear. I think lots of those pieces are often overlooked, even in Germany. A lot of guys here import expensive titanium cooking gear, fancy sporks and generally useless, overpriced but trendy kit from the US or China.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Bootiful, really bootiful,....looks like a great place & no one else around,...heaven........can't say your breakfast tempted me though.....good looking knife too.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
cheers guys...im very lucky to live here, and its one of my favourite places on earth. recently discoverd goshwak chicks here too so they keep me amused trying to spot mum & dad goshawk...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE