A lovely day working in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A few months ago I was asked to run a series of woodcraft sessions for a group of volunteers at Chopwell woods. The idea was to give them enough experience and instruction so they could run events for the public at other times.

Over four Sundays we got together and made a shave horse and a pole lathe as well as mallets, wedges and other stuff they would need. The culmination was last Sunday and was a free public day run on a 'come and have a go' basis.

We had enough visitors to let every one of the volunteers work their new found skills and I was on hand to answer any questions they might get stuck over. I decided to show them all how to make a simple stick chair though, so everyone could have something to take home with them.

The rain stayed off from start until half an hour before we finished so all in all it was a brilliant day.

Here's some photos. This is how it'll be for my two half day workshops at the bushmoot by the way, all hands on stuff. I envisage stick chairs will be everywhere by the end of the bushmoot. :lmao:

TNchopwell002.jpg

Preparing ends of stick chair

TNchopwell003.jpg

Using the new shave horse as a saw bench.

TNchopwell004.jpg

Woodland workshop.

TNchopwell005.jpg

The new shave horse, made on site from local wood using only simple hand tools.

TNchopwell006.jpg

Me demonstrating how to tie the stick chair legs together using a clove hitch.

TNchopwell007.jpg

Demonstrating how to tie string round the top of the chair.

TNchopwell008.jpg

Woodland workshop in action again.

TNchopwell009.jpg

Progress so far (he thinks it's finished, but it ain't).

TNchopwell010.jpg

Spreading the tripod legs.

TNchopwell011.jpg

Stick chair in progress.

TNchopwell013.jpg

Will it hold? Will it? Will it?, Ahhh it works.

TNchopwell014.jpg

Look Mum, no hands.

TNchopwell015.jpg

The lasses did a good job on theirs.

TNchopwell016.jpg

Success! Some of them didn't think the stick chair would work.

TNchopwell017.jpg

The camp fire was welcome as all the rain had made it quite cold in the woods.

TNchopwell018.jpg

These stick chairs are unbelievably comfortable.

TNchopwell020.jpg

The Ranger's wife looking pleased with her creation.

TNchopwell023.jpg

Turning wood on the pole lathe.

TNchopwell024.jpg

The wood comes off at a fair rate of knots on one of these things.

TNchopwell027.jpg

Turning wood on the new homemade pole lathe (made on site from B&Q roofing joists).

TNchopwell028.jpg

Preparing a billet of wood for the lathe.

TNchopwell030.jpg

Everyone keping busy.

TNchopwell029.jpg

This is Thomas. He's amazing. He is blind and deaf and couldn't wait to have a go on the pole lathe. He did fantastically well and turned a bit of wood purely by feel and worked some wood down on the shave horse by feel as well. His carer communicated my instructions to him by touching him on his hand in a kind of signing for the blind. When I think I'm hard done by, I just remember Thomas then I realise just how lucky I am.
Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Looks like good fun, and I am impressed with Thomas' have a go attitude. I was wondering how he communicated, sign language alone looks difficult to master, but factor in blindness aswell. Very interesting. Seeing these pictures makes me want to get to the Moot even more now. Hopefully my financial situation won't looks so bleak by then!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thomas himself uses british sign language, but he can't see it of course, so his carer touches his hand in what looked to me like a rapid series of taps, squiggles and squeezes. He understood her though, and used conventional signing to ask me questions which she translated for me.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That is amazing. I always find it an inspiration when I see people with disabilities that don't let them get in the way of doing what we consider every day things.

By the way Eric, any news on whether you will be able to make Delamere or not? It would be nice to meet you at last!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
By the way Eric, any news on whether you will be able to make Delamere or not? It would be nice to meet you at last!

It transpires that the cockup at chopwell was resolved at the weekend so I'll be going there to run a woodcraft/leathercraft workshop. I won't be at Delamere after all.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm sure I've seen that chair design somewhere before... ;)

I was wondering how I could communicate to Thomas sufficiently to try and get him to make a stick chair. While I was pondering on the communication skills needed to get the instructions to him through three people, Thomas had a feel of one of the chairs already made. He ran his fingers all over it then signed "Oh yes, we used to make these all the time in Scouts". Bloody brilliant!

Eric

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Good on you Eric, I love this sort of thing. I remember going to a woodland open day near here, years ago....I was hooked. I really enjoy doing woodcraft and find the making more pleasurable than using the finished item I have made...
That must of been something watching Thomas...

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I worked for a woman who became a good friend. I was a dog groomer, and if I wasn't sure if I'd gotten the cut right Anne could tell me just by running her hands over the dog(she was totally blind). She also had a nasty sense of humour. I'm really squeamish about eyes, and I lost count of how many times I found one of her spare glass eyes at the bottom of my tea. If you ever meet me and offer me tea, don't be surprised if I tilt the cup from side to side while holding it to my ear listening for the clink of glass on china. :D She used to be able to drive around the local road through the woods by listening to the sound of the engine bouncing back off the trees and fence posts on either side of the road. Only draw back was she had to drive with the front windows down.

rancid badger

It's moment's like this that make our voluntary work in Chopwell Wood so incredibly satisfying.
Of course, without Carole Fountain, who now covers almost all of our events for British Sign Langauge, our hearing impaired visitors would almost certainly never have had a chance to experience anything like this.
So I think on behalf of all of us involved with the organisation of these events I would just like to sincerely thank Carole for her fantastic work and Eric for having the courage to allow Thomas the chance to experience an activity which, I suspect, would otherwise have been placed far out of his reach.

Anyone wishing to learn traditional woodcraft with a 'bushcraft bias' would do well to engage Eric's services by the way.

Thanks most sincerely;

Steve.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
It's moment's like this that make our voluntary work in Chopwell Wood so incredibly satisfying.
Of course, without Carole Fountain, who now covers almost all of our events for British Sign Langauge, our hearing impaired visitors would almost certainly never have had a chance to experience anything like this.
So I think on behalf of all of us involved with the organisation of these events I would just like to sincerely thank Carole for her fantastic work and Eric for having the courage to allow Thomas the chance to experience an activity which, I suspect, would otherwise have been placed far out of his reach.

Anyone wishing to learn traditional woodcraft with a 'bushcraft bias' would do well to engage Eric's services by the way.

Thanks most sincerely;

Steve.

Cheers Steve

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE